Thread: 2 1/2 or 5 ton rockwells?

Question 2 1/2 or 5 ton rockwells?

I was going to do the 5 ton rockwells due to the additional strength when using steering axles front and back but there are companies out there making parts for the deuce axles now that should be about as tough as the bigger axles of the 5 ton trucks. does anyone have any ideas about this?
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

i think you should get the 2.5 tons there cheeper and not as bulky and it will probably be easier to get rims/parts for

There is not much room between oil pan and center chunk with 2.5 tons. I would think it would be less with the 5 tons. Ouverson engineering has axles available to replace the stock 2.5 ton. 5ton is wider and heavier, but you could use stock 5ton beadlock wheels. I can get front 5ton axles for $250ea and beadlocks for $100ea. out of Yelm Washington. 2.5 ton axles are $750ea. and figure about $300ea. for custom wheels. Not sure what this stuff is going for in your area.

Dave,
    Go with the 2.5's. I got a steering and rear for $600 off ebay awhile back. Theres more tech and aftermarket support for the 2.5's. If your planning on running it on the street, don't do 4wheel steer. Whatever size wheel your going to run, cut the centers off the wheels and have your local machine shop make centers for you on their cad. Its much cheaper than stockton wheel. Have them weld the new centers in, that way if they don't run true, they have to fix them. You can run as small as a 15" wheel, you'll have to ditch the drum brakes to do so.

I would recomend the 2.5 tons as well. Unless you have a forklift. The 2.5 tons are heavy enough. I blew the seal on my engine hoist moving mine around. If you have wheels made, Stazworks will be your best bet.

im planning on building a serious truck to try and win the TTC and itll have 4 wheel steer with about 56's for any street driving and 66's for off roading plus Ill be running a BBC around 700 ci and 1500+ hp. it will be supercharged or with twin turbo's so im in need of serious axles. I built a 632 BBC with about 900 hp and ended up selling it after the Co. trip as it was going to be too radical and the new engine will be actually milder built and more overall power and more low end power. bead locks are a must and a wider stance with the extra height needed for the tire sizes im runnin plus Im very hard on it and will push it to the limits. think more in the line of a monster truck with a drag racer behind the wheel rock climbing. LOL!

Then I would say 5 tons. Or built 2.5 tons. Ouverson will be your friend with 2,5 tons.

I like the looks of the Ouverson products. now Im going to have to call them and see if their 2 1/2 ton axles are as strong as the stock 5 ton steering axles and if they have parts for the five ton as well? Im going for overkill and dont want anything to break and put me out plus its time to put the 715 in the spotlight and bring the value and desire to aquire way up. LOL!