Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diesel bellhousing patterns

The cummins diesel is a great motor. Not sure about the trans though. If you could make the cummins work go for it. I am not sure so don't hold me to this and I'm sure someone else will know better, but couldn't you mate a GM trans to the cummins? Wondering minds want to know...
    Zone holster maker

On all 93 and newer Dodge Cummins mated to a 5-speed. The trans is a NV4500. The input shaft is different than the gas ones, but it is a NV4500.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

The cummins b block 4 and 6 cylinder engines have an adapter plate that bolts to the back of the block. If your engine comes out of a Chevy chassis step van it will bolt to a Chevy trans. If you use a 700 r4 the bolt pattern on the flex plate is for the Chevy 400 auto torque converter so you will have to redrill for the 700 torque converter or use the 400 torque converter, either option is OK. If your engine is from a Dodge it will be the Dodge bolt parrern. I am sure Cummins also makes adapter plates for SAE bolt patterns and other bolt patterns also. It would be possible to take a Chevy 4b engine and change to a Dodge addapter and run a Dodge tranny or the other way around and run a Chevy tranny on the 6b Dodge engine or one of many other combos. The point is, running the combo you want is an easy change providing you can locate the adapter plate and flywheel/ flexplate you are looking for for a reasonable price. Try a schoolbus junk yard if you want a good strong non overdrive auto, alot of Allison transmissions available there, they are an SAE bolt pattern I believe

Semper Fi,
    Devildog
    bobdevlin50@msn.com

Yes, the Allisons have an SAE ring, I'm unsure of the # size though. Maybe #3.
    Big Blocks RULE!