Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spicergear, or anyone with 454's

spicergear. did you use a duece tranny? i have found a source for parts close to me. also do you remember how far you had to move the horns. mine have been cut and moved and welded again. they are in sad shape as someone torched three of the holes out the size of a fifty cent piece. i guess if i weld the plates to the horns it should not matter. thanks larry

Larry, I moved the passenger side horn forward the width of itself and moved the driver's side about 3/4 the width of itself. You can move the passenger side further ahead because you don't have to worry about steering shaft clearance. I then welded plates onto the mount of the horn, then tacked in a captive pin style GM motor mount. I've got about 3-4" clearance from the HEI to the firewall and have radiator in stock location with mechanical fan and four groove pulley on harmonic balancer. Plenty of room in these trucks. Yes, I used a deuce tranny, 3053A model from behind a multifuel engine. 3053A have a 15% overdrive in them. The older yet standard style REO deuce trucks had gas motors with a 3052 non overdrive tranny. Skip them, as you're not gaining anything but weight. I made up a rear tranny mount and set it right on the factory 715 tranny mount on the stock crossmember. It's a hefty tranny that surprisingly fits well, but will require some fab work.
    Big Blocks RULE!

Default Solution

spicergear, ok i think that i have the mounts figured out, but my stteering shaft was rubbing on the horns with the stock box. i have the saginaw box in now and the shaft is only clearing the horns by 3/16s . i am worried if the frame flexs i will tear something apart. my truck was made in 5 of 67. wondered if my truck could be different due to an earlier manufacture? have you heard of anyone else having this problem? i can always torch a hole for it to go thru, but i really hate to do that. thanks for all the help. by the way if you need duece parts, this guy is only an hour away from me. what bellhousing did you use? thanks for letting me pick your brain. larry