Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally got her on the road!

NICE I might have to get a set after I fab up some seat mounts they aren't even bolted down
    Chris

I took the truck out for the first long ride today. 40 miles round trip (at about 45 mph). It ran great, the only thing that is a concern, is that the hydraulic clutch is engaging too high, and I actually slipped the clutch in 4th under hard acceleration.

Do I need to shorten the pushrod, or am I missing something easy here?

I actually shimmed the initial fulcrum (early 70's chevy pickup fork and fulcrum) with a few washers when I originally installed it. It would not be hard taking them out, or even shortening the pushrod.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Has it always been at the top of the pedal?

How much free play do you have in the pedal? If you don't have enough free play you could be dragging your clutch disk wearing it prematurely?

Yes, always near the top. There is a small amount of free play on the pushrod going into the MC, but no free play on the rod from the cylinder to the fork.
    Thanks, George

I'm not at home yet to check mine but I'm pretty sure mine is the same way. I have free play in the MC rod but none in the slave. My engagement point is between half way down and the bottom of the pedal.

I didn't build any adjustment into my linkage setup. I made both rods from 3/8" round stock. I remember playing with the lower rod length a bit to get it where it felt right to me. I'm using a cast iron fork and cast iron bell housing from the late 50's or early 60's I believe. I still need to come up with an inspection plate.

Maybe your lower rod is shimmed out too long? Have you tried removing a washer yet?

George,
    Pull the cap off the reservoir and have somebody push the pedal and release. If you do not see fluid flowing back into the cup, the push rod is too long or the pedal is not coming back enough. There is a way to adjust the pedal a little bit by turning the stop.

That is for up top. If it is flowing fluid back, then the pressure is being released. That means the rod or linkage down low is the problem.

That help any?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks jeeper and Tim. I will check and see if fluid is flowing back, and if it is, I'll take some of the shims out of the slave pushrod.
    Thanks, George

Fluid was flowing back (thanks for the tip Tim), so I was good on top. Even with the shim out, it was too long. I made the original out of a 6.2 pushrod. I made another, taking a little better than 3/4" out. Its good now. It engages just off of the floor and no drag going into gear
    Thanks, George

Glad you got it fixed. Now you can use all that 6.2 power. he he.

I shouldn't write that because people who don't know the joke will take it wrong.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Ha! I won't be smoking the tires or the clutch
    Thanks, George