Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guage replacement-- 12 volt

Default Guage replacement-- 12 volt

I"m getting ready to replace my guages in my modified truck, (12 volt), I have not bought guages in 20 years.
    I saw where fng replaced his fuel guage and set up the sending unit, sounded like he is all set for fuel. He did mention that one of the guys on the site found a fuel sending unit that bolts up to the stock tank, he said that someone may have a list of numbers.
    I would like to swap out all of my guages to a matched set. I was looking for ones that would be preferably black face, black bezel, white numbers, letters, needle, If I can't get them in a black bezel, I want to go stainless steel, I should go s.s. just for rust reasons, but I am worried about the sun reflecting off of the bezel and into my eyes when the top is off. Have any of you guys had a problem like that with the reflections?
    Back to the guages, What is a good brand, and a good place to buy them? I have looked at Summits on line cat. and others, till I'm blue in the face.

Try a search for Stewart Warner and military gauges or Datcon heavy duty gauges. You'll find many with mill finished bezels, but they can be painted to your specs.

If your tastes are likes mine, stay away from AutoMeter gauges, as their bezels are too fat and deep; at least the type I've seen recently.

I just purchased all new gauges, and I wanted gauges just like you mentioned above. I looked at Stewart Warner, and Datcon and although I liked them, they just didn't seem quite right. I then found Isspro gauges and knew immediately those were the ones I wanted. I can even get you part numbers if you wish for the gauges I purchsed. You can find Isspro online and they are in Portland Oregon. I purchased Mechanical speedo with trip odometer 33/8", mechanical tach. with hour meter 33/8" and then water temp, fuel level, oil pressure and volt meter in 21/16" black bezels, black with white lettering. Good luck on your decision.

Stewart Warner made the original gauges and their deluxe series is identical, in 12 volt but with chrome bezels. Paint the bezels OD and you wouldn't know the difference.

The fuel sender bolt pattern is a standard kinda thing, most all "universal" sending units will match. You have to know which way the arm is oriented in relation to the offset screw holes because it bolts in only one way. It sounded like FNG's Autometer sender could go either way but the S-W universal sender has either a left facing or right facing arm. The speedway motors catalog explains it well.

Chris

Although you've already been advised against them, here's a picture of my autometer guage's and my panel switches. Yes they do have a thicker bezel but I actually don't have any problem seeing them when they're within their normal operating ranges. Not only that but I really like the red inner lighting and the black contrast against the OD.

FYI I'm also posting some other "I'm Finished" shots on the open discussion board.

Nice pics fng, but after checking out the ones that fisherman pointed out, I found that the ones I'm looking for,I really like the Isspro ones.

As long as you are replacing the gusges you might want to fab up a different pannel to hold them. I stole this idea from (Pete?) and love it. Lets you add a 3 3/8 tack and actually looks stock all painted up.

Nice Panel, check that out Brandon.

Quote Originally Posted by BBM715 View Post
    As long as you are replacing the gusges you might want to fab up a different pannel to hold them. I stole this idea from (Pete?) and love it. Lets you add a 3 3/8 tack and actually looks stock all painted up.
    It looks great and you have me thinking of doing that, Was there any clearance issues at the sides where it goes into the dash or where the red plastic dash light flanges set next to the guage flange?

Here is even another option. Autometer Sport Comp gauges, painted bezel's and move the 3 lever switch to the other side of the steering column. (The fire department had made one huge hole where the 3 lever and ign switch were supposed to be. A tach and oil psi gauge filled the spot very well.

There is no right answer to this question. Just do what you want and will be happy with.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw