Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Going Rockwells, anyone else done this yet?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attac...postid=1936084
    There is a skid plate like I want to make.
    And that also shows the better clamp style for the normal boot.
    I hear that the zipper style leaks a lot. Of course I wouldn't have all the grease in there.

Oh, if you have a greasable U joint, you don't have to have the entire knuckle filled with grease. Just hit the three zerks now and a again and you are geased and ready to go.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hreadid=227425

That thread covers the U joint issue.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hreadid=141578

That one covers the allow axle shafts if I ever needed those. (which also have a killer Ujoint setup).

GOOD LINK! I'd rather have grease leak out time to time than dirt and crap get in. I'll take my WITH boots please! At lease one of those guys needs to quit the speculation and actually tear one apart and look at the design of the stock joint and grease...mass.

Oh, I wasn't all that clear on the pic of the boot guard. I understood the text, but couldn't get it out of the picture.
    Big Blocks RULE!

The stock boot guard is a flimsy piece of metal. He made one out of 3/16" steel.
    Other's have taken pictures of the joints pulled apart. The stock Ujoint relies on the knuckle to be full of grease to get grease into the ujoint. Not the best setup in my book.
    The new style Ujoints have the zerk that you can either pull the boot to the side, or drill out the inspection hole and put the grease gun through there. Search on pirate, they have pictures of it all. You just have to wade through some of the BS.

It may be possible to take that stock guard which...actually is a fairly heavy guage...and take like a piece of !/4"x 1" and wrap it around it's edge, tack weld it, and also have an upper mounting hole and a lower mounting hole. That way it would have the strength of the mounting holes, as well as the bends of the stamped factory piece. Have you run across any of the ball/cv style rockwell shafts yet. I had one in my red truck that I changed out because the short shaft busted right inside the drive flange at the hub. The joint is pretty impressive and really looks strong...although I'd still stick with U-joints...I'd not call one of those trash by any means.
    Big Blocks RULE!

spicergear, Is it possable to make my own pinoin brake on rockwells? If so what rotor , calaper ,and master cylinder shoud be used. I'm just to poor to buy the set-up although the 300$ seems like a good price.Please e-mail me ... amygeurts@earthlink.net Thanks, Wout

It would seem if you use a suzuki rotor and a toyota caliper it works (I think I have those right).
    Search on www.pirate4x4.com for these.

And disregard my earlier posts for USA4x4. He is a con artist.