Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Going Rockwells, anyone else done this yet?

tacoma, Thanks, hopefully he will chime in with some better pictures of tcase and oil pan clearances

spicergear, How did those brakes set you back anyway? I will go with pinion brakes and locker as I only intend this to be a trail rig. Not sure what brakes I will use, but something nice and small and cheap will fit my bill Oh, and VERY common parts to replace at any store across the country

I like Barry's tire fitment. I need to know what his backspacing on those rims are.

Hammer, I'll dig through my discs.. I know I have some shots of like, tie rods but I can't remember if they're any good.. was just figgering out how to use the camera back in October there LOL. Will pass them on if I can find them....
    **I heart Bump_r **

thanks, all help is appreciated.
    I will get the axles this weekend, so my first goal is to get them under the truck. After that I will worry about the rest!

Hammer
    Last month's JP magazine had an article were they installed pinion brakes on some Rockwells. They got the pinion brakes from USA 6X6. The kit has 10 inch vented rotors, Wilwood pads and the necessary brackets etc.

Joel

http://www.usa6x6.com/ROCKWELL%20PINION%20ON.jpg

That isn't really that bad of a price, and they will have a setup with a parking brake pretty soon. $275
    But, WOW those other brakes really add up on cost!

Oh, and the shaved covers are pretty slick!
    http://www.usa6x6.com/Rockwell%20Pan%20NEW.jpg

Although I will probably just do the turtle shell method.

My dad was giving my a bunch of crap about cutting the bottom cover off and said, "You're doing the front but not the rear?" I'm like, "yeah, I figure I'll keep more oil in the rear for cooling." He come back with, "that doesn't make any sense (and just trying to get my goat) if ya do one you should do the other." (thinking he had me) I say, "eh, what the hell, the plug us rusted anyway...I'll do them both!" He just sat there and looked at me.

The guys at USA6x6 say that there's like an 8th of a quart difference, but I HAS to be more. The stock pan is deeper by like 1" and is a broad basin where the high clearance turtle shell is...well, not. Oh well, it's big tough stuff...we'll see what happens.
    Big Blocks RULE!

I like those mohawk shaved covers. But doubt I would really need that. I mean, the stock setup would work, and the metal should be thick enough to break any rock it hits
    I am not worried about cooling, as this is going to be a trail only rig.
    So you only gained 1" clearance?

Well, yes and no. I don't have them on yet, but there's only so much they can come in toward the gear. The big difference is that you don't have this big bulbous pan you only have a "mohawk" design so you make a TON more clearance beside the peak AND, what I think would really be a rock grabber would be the heavy weld ring that sticks down about 3/8- 1/2" below the pan around the drain plug. The pan I cut off had that smashed in to the point that there's no way the plug would come out. It's inset on the side of the mohawks. By the way, the stock pans are about 3/16" thick. They'll drag and crease for a long time!!
    Big Blocks RULE!

hmm. I'd almost prefer stock-- sides MIGHT and I say might hang you up laterally. Or mebbe not. And it's a moot point here anyway, as I don't have them LOL...
    **I heart Bump_r **