Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to Rims/Tires again

Default Back to Rims/Tires again

I've been thinking and would like y'alls input. Do I understand correctly that the 11x16 xl's are drying up as far as availability? If they are hard(er) to come by,.. then what is the next available size that will fit and work in our application. I mean if the new glut on the market is going to be 16.5's or something then before I get my rims made up over at MRW I should take the tire availability into account, right? I want to buy my rims only once and since I'm not really savvy about GI rubber I would like to get some of you more knowledable folk to enlighten me...
    I guess what I'm sayin' is, should I get the 16's or 16.5's? AAAANNDDD...in the event I cant find Military, what is availability of tires like on the civvy side for those sizes?

They are drying up...literally...lol

I went with the 16" by 8" wheels and the backspacing I have because I had the Michelins, two I needed to clear my disc brakes on the front. I wanted a little wider than stock wheel so I could run civilian tires if I had to down the road. There are usually Michelins on ebay every week. And none of mine are drying up literally. If I was going to buy civilian tires I would check into maybe an Irok 39.5" tall tire for a 16" wheel. I think there are some Good years out there as well and Swampers just to name a few. I don't think it will be that difficult to find a tire that will fit a 16 by 8" wheel. Good luck with what you decide.

Thanks Todd.

ummm civvy.............a forklift..........atleased our hyster is the same bolt pattern
    my signature is sweet huh?

If you plan to air down at times, Tracy, the 16-inchers' beads tend to hold on tighter too, I've heard tell.
    -- Tim Taylor

I've asked the same question on a new replacement for the military tires on here and on SS and have been ignored so I figure that the answer to that is there aint none. 16 inch wheels are common on many trucks. My 93 ford F-250 had 16 inch wheels. I would think that if you do some research you should be able to find common sizes for a good all terrain tire (which is what I think you would want with your truck) and then order your rims.
    Zone holster maker

I've been happy with the Mickey Thompson Claws

Hey fellas, Just wanted to stir up some talk about BFG's Mud Terrains and Interco's TSL radials. I never see anybody mention them as options for the obvious reason that they dont make a tire even close to as big as we need for a 16" wheel, at least not yet. When my latest issue of jp showed up there is a small clip on pg 13 about BFG snatching the Military Contract from Goodyear for the hummers. There will be alot of tires for the 16.5" wheel made, most in the 37" class, but they go on to mention that the entire line will be added to. They started in Sept. with the larger 17" and 18" sizes and will release the 15" and 16" sizes in Sept. of 08'. I just got home from the Off Road Show in Pomona, CA. and BFG was a huge sponsor/vendor. At their booth I checked out their newly facelifted Mud Terrain KM2 as they are called and they look pretty stout. They look like a cross between their old KM's and their new Krawler's. Not at all like a XL if thats what you are after, but will no doubt perform. The rep gave me a list of all the tire sizes scheduled and at the time of printing the biggest 16" was going to be a 315 = 34.8", but said they were still working the line up. These will be something to look for in the future. After the BFG booth I hit the Interco spread. Man, they have just about anything you can dream up for an offroad tire in just about any size.The TSL Radials look pretty good and have a tread pattern closer to the XL's which I like, I just dont have any experience with them. Anybody have an opinion/experience with of TSL Radials? Thanks, Jay

~~~~~~~~~~ok question added to question~~~~~~~~~~~
    when where and how?... the genral availability or rims, or rims swapping, or center cut and swap, and genral rire size applications.. would be "good" (do-able) for our m715's?..
    im lost and clueless on thsi entire section, and propbably too lazy to do soem sort of hub replacement (always an option in teh future)
    and to add to that...
    do humvee tires and rims fit our jeeps?.. im in the positin.. to aquire a set of four... not too sure if it's worth it.. if it dosent set on my jeep.. i'll let my buddy keep em'
    ~67 M715~