Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: batistabomb : spring over/flip shackle conversion

Default sermis :

Re: spring over/flip shackle conversion
    Post by sermis on Aug 6, 2006, 8:27pm

You forgot on the rear, remove the front spring mount from the frame, flip and reattach mount.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Aug 6, 2006, 10:10pm

i,ve got new longer brake and vent lines cheap

Default jed :

Post by jed on Aug 6, 2006, 10:18pm

Batistabomb, I could take some pictures of the spring over lift I did on my truck. Everyone here answered all the questions I had before I started the lift, so I guess It's my turn to give back if your interested.

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Aug 6, 2006, 10:52pm

Jed,"give back" that's how it works...thanks!

Good photos of flipping the front mount would be a great bonus.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Aug 7, 2006, 10:20am

The tie rod bar does hit in the front....it needs to be mounted upsidedown to clear...welding up the stock mounting holes and redrilling them from the top with the correct size tapered ream will fix that. I remember TmanII, an older member who did a few of these, said the drag link needed to be lengthened by about 2 inches as well...

NOTE: I have never done one.

Default jed :

Post by jed on Aug 7, 2006, 8:11pm

OK, so here's what I did for the lift on the front end of my truck. New spring perches were welded on the tubes with the same pinion angle as originals. Since my tierod ends were all bad, I bought a new, larger set and then had the new taper cut into the steering arms from the top down. I didn't have to do any mods to the tierod or drag link, they still fit when I was done. I also found a dropped pitman arm that fit my steering box. I had new, longer brake lines and breather tube made at EVCO hose here in Ogden. The drive line will need to be a little longer and of course longer shocks are needed, but I'll wait till the truck is back together so I can get proper measurements. The crossmember with the trans mount needs to be cleareanced a little so the the driveline doesn't hit it. I built a new crossmember since mine was chopped up already, so I've got plenty of room there. Anyway, that about wraps up the front.

Here's one of new tierod end on top of steering arm

Default awest :

Post by awest on Aug 11, 2006, 9:09am

Jed where did you get your spring perches at. What is the Axle Diameter for them. Also did you just weld them directly on top of the axle level with the old ones, or did you find your angle.

Default jed :

Post by jed on Aug 12, 2006, 2:04am

I bought the perches at Boyce Equipment, the same place I bought my truck, but those things are pretty easy to find, they are for a three inch tube. Summit racing has them in their spring section. I welded them directly above the old ones. I did put an angle gauge on the axle to make sure it all stayed the same, and it did.

Default saxon :

Post by saxon on Aug 17, 2006, 10:37pm

jed, where did you find the tapered reamer to fit the taper of the larger tie rod ends? saxon

Default jed :

Post by jed on Aug 18, 2006, 9:25pm

My cousin owns his own machine shop here in Ogden and he had the right tapered ream. Worked out very well! He also spun new bushings for the rear leafs.