Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: brake drum removal

hello i was putting new brake lines on my truck last night and took my tire off to clean the studs and ease the removal of the brake lines and was wondering does anyone have an ideas on how to remove the big slotted screws in the as the are pretty snug and i don't know if the will come out very easily any help appreciated and btw i already tried a penetrating oil.
    -brad
    '86 & '98 Ram 4x4's

Default D70 axle shafts, 2 piece?

b.f.h. and impact tool

WD-40, Impact driver, or large screwdriver with vice grips clamped on for leverage.
    Big Blocks RULE!

Blog Entries

I just removed all four of mine. Lots of WD-40 and a lrage screw driver and hammer. Used the hammer to pound the screwdriver in the direction I wanted the screw to turn.

Use a dab of anti sieze going back in. Next time will be easier....
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

That's awsome that we've been around long enough to have a repeat!

I'm gonna thow out a suggestion here that no one else has:

Drill them out and leave them gone. I've done it to 3 of my trucks now and never had any problems. Some said that the only reason that those screws are in there is to hold the drums on whilst the truck goes down the assembly line. The lug nuts hold the drum on tight when the wheels are on, so basically those 3 problem screws are useless. I just drill the heads off of 'em.

Doesn't make them rattle, doesn't make them work loose, doesn't make them any less effective, I can see that it makes no difference at all.

Just my opinion.
    -B.

The difference may be that the screws positively locate the drum in relation to the shoes...the lugnuts may leave them off a little and cause less than ideal wear on the shoes...this is a theory[/u][/i] only.
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

i talked to a good friend who has worked on more vehicales then he can count and he said that they were for holding the drum on and to locate the drum and i will guess after removing three of the drums that they would serve to hold the drum off of the lug nuts when you stop and save you the pain in the a$$ of getting them off of the studs (done that on an excursion before it sucks) but that is all i can see them usefull for anyways i got three drums off and checked the pads but the fourth drum woldnt come off and i ran out of acetylene in my torch so that ends my try at removing it but thanks for the help and the pb blaster and bfh and impcat driver worked awesome.
    -brad
    '86 & '98 Ram 4x4's

I used lots of pb blaster, big hammer, broke the driver on the impact and had to resort to a cutting torch.