Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 427 Chevy Tall Deck Question

Default 427 Chevy Tall Deck Question

I have a 427 chevy tall deck with a low compression hydraulic cam. I have a crack in the intake and I would like to replace the carburetor as well. Can you fella's give me some advice becasue everyone I talk to knows nothing about the tall deck motors. I have heard they make some spacers to use regular 427 intakes but I am not sure what intake/carburetor combo I should go with. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Is this going in an M715 or something else? Big effect on manifold choice what you are planning to use it for.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Tall deck big blocks do use a different, wider intake. I think that they do make adapters, but I also remember seeing some manifolds being offered for them now in aluminum to accept Holley's and the like.

A dual plane is best for lower end low RPM torque. An open center intake is better for higher RPM.

As far as a carb, I think the truck motors had a 2bbl carb stock, but anything around a 650-750cfm should be sufficient for a stock motor.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

It is going in a 1967 M715. I bought it a while back but just getting around to fixing it up. I believe a guy named Brian Sisson built the truck. It's a solid truck and drivetrain but the intake has a crack and I keep having trouble with the plug in the intake for the old style water pump. I appreciate the replies. I don't know a lot but I do view the board pretty often and everyone on here is very generous with their knowledge.

In this application I would think a dual plane would be the best best and keeptig the carb size to 750 MAX would be good...

GM performance parts has an amazing array of tall deck parts since they starter offering the 572 crate engine. Edelbrock also offers a tall deck intake.

I have driven that truck. A 2 barrel did real good in all trail situations at LBL in 2004. I also followed that truck 200 miles or so down I-40 across Tennessee. It did 50-60 mph just fine.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I'm pretty sure I have a spare intake for you, if you want a stock one.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Quote Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
    I'm pretty sure I have a spare intake for you, if you want a stock one.
    I appreciate the offer but I have also had trouble with keeping a plug in the intake since I am using a newer style water pump.

I'm not so sure a dual plane would be best bet w/o knowing the main use (roads vs off-road), tire size, tranny, and gear ratio. I can tell you from experience that a higher rpm manifold works way better for heavier road use with stock gears/tires. Unless you're lugging trails, these engines don't see low rpms. Unless you like starting from 3rd or 4th gear!

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by robo View Post
    Unless you're lugging trails, these engines don't see low rpms.
    A tall deck big block is only good in stock form for about 5,000 RPM max, so a dual-plane would probably be the best choice. For highway driving, occasional bursts of 50-55 will be fine and you probably won't notice the difference in what kind of intake in on it then.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™