Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about compressors again...

Default Thinking about compressors again...

It's that time of the year again except this year I'm determined to get a good compressor for sand blasting, priming and painting. And this year I'll "Get 'er Done"! Ok, anyone can chime in, I know we already had this discussion Fisherman but, I forgot to save the thread the last time. What am I looking for in gallon size, CFM's, HP, Brand (I know you prefer Kellog) Horrizontal vs. Vertcal, or oiless vs. oiler?

OK lets see here, horizontal or vertical doesn't seem to matter to me anyways. Unless a space issue is involved the vertical may be a better choice. Personally I like an 80 gallon or larger. I think any smaller and your working it too much especially when blasting, painting doesn't really use that much air, as you typically don't paint for very long. Sand blasting however seems to take forever. I would get one that is 220, maybe a 5 hp motor, and a reliable pump, that uses oil. Make sure you run a seperator or two for painting puposes. I run my air up the wall up the angle of my trusses to the top of the shop, on the way up I have a few drop down pieces with petcocks in the bottom or an authomatic water trap before the air goes to the seperator. I have 2 seperators for painting in different areas of the shop. Most of the water drops down into these traps, and hardly any ever makes it further. I bought mine used and paid a grand for it, but it had been checked out and came with a new Leeson 5 hp 220 electric motor. I did replace 2 O rings in the pump because it sat for 2 years before I installed it. Easy fix, and nothing to do now but change the oil every so often, drain the tank, and make lots of compressed air. Good luck.

Go oiler. Quieter and will last. I just got a 5hp/60 Gal two stage from HF. $799, and 2 weeks ago it was on sale $100 off (might still be), and I used 20% coupon so got it for $560 and tax.

This is the one I got: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93274

A couple years ago, I picked up a used air dryer for $100 that gives me about 20 more gallons of air (it's after the main regulator so it's at about 95psi), and air coming out is bone-dry. Also have automatic drains on both the dryer and compressor.
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

Good price, I don't think you could go wrong, take care of it, change the oil, drain the tank, run the heck outta it.

DP, watch out if its a harbor freight auto drain. They don't work for "good" compressors. I had to take mine off and hook up a ball valve to the bottom of my tank. I agree with what evryone above posted.

Get the biggest Ingersoll Rand you can afford....SCFM of 20 or better is really good for sandblasting...80 gallon or larger tank...220 volt...use synthetic oil of manufacturer spec....use their electric auto drain deal with an in the line filter/seperator/regulator setup...auto oiler is nice too for the tools.

The use it as much as you want and enjoy...it'll outlast you.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I run 2 compressors Y'd together when sandblasting. I also have 5HP gas compressor.
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

If you are on a budget, Husky (Home Depot) 7 horse vertical, 60 gallon works great for me. Cast iron cylinder etc. $399...keep an eye for coupons if you have a Home Depot charge card i.e. $25 off $100 purchase or more etc.

Mine works well for everything including blasting etc.

Thanks to everyone that chimed in. I now have a good idea of what I'm looking for. As soon as this white stuff melts away I'll be ready to jump in.

I went the HD route too. Had a 60 gallon that wouldn't keep up with my blaster for long periods. Stepped up to the 80 gallon 2-stage with the cast iron pump, and it's been great. Plus it runs a the main pressure up to 175PSI for additional umph/storage.