Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: davenjeip : Battery Mount

Default bluesman2a :

Re: Battery Mount
    Post by bluesman2a on Jun 13, 2006, 6:14pm

Quote:
    Bluesman2a, are you running 11.00 16's? At 38" are they going to hit the inside of the fender well. Does not look like much room left after the fender was cut out.

I'm running 38.5" Swampers at the moment, I don't know the specific numbers but there's more room between the tire and battery insert than there is up-travel between the axle and the bump-stops. Also it's far enough forward and inboard (front/top/inside corner of the wheel well) that even if the tire were to stuff up in there, it'd be hard to hit that.

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on Jun 23, 2006, 12:25am

Using the FSJ mount does not require you to cut into the inner fender and it works with the wide radiator mod (FSJ already has that anyhow). It does however mount the battery at a strange angle.

Chris

Default whydah :

Post by whydah on Jun 24, 2006, 2:18am

ammo box for me.

i banged out passenger side fender well to accomodate the corner of the box. then bolted it to the fender well and the front radiator support. it fits one specific size battery just right, a common model. i place a curled heater hose on top of the battery when i close the box door to protect the terminals from touching the box.

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Jun 24, 2006, 9:06am

Jeff, did you drill any drain holes in the ammo can?

I used a rocket box for a few years(dual battery) and found that water would always find its way in thru the holes for the cables.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Jun 24, 2006, 9:12am

...and holes for off-gassing. Very cool idea though! I like it!

Default fsjguy :

Post by fsjguy on Jun 24, 2006, 10:36am

Ammo box is a great idea. I'd suggest a piece of wood and rubber matt the correct thickness to gently squeeze the battery and hold it in place. The heater hose insulation is an excellent choice. Stick a hole in the bottom, or if you're really geeky and anal, drill and tap it for a metal fitting and attach a metal drain line running down and cap it with a one way valve.

Default whydah :

Post by whydah on Jun 26, 2006, 9:22am

thanks

don't think i'll get water in but thanks for the tips. i've wondered about heat as well, but it hasn't appeared to cause any problems

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Jun 26, 2006, 9:33am

Hmmm, I wonder if a Optima will fit a .50cal box? They are sealed already, so there wouldn't be any need to vent and some nice grommets on the cables would make for a cool battery box. To expand on the idea, I wonder if there is room to add in bulkhead terminals to make a sort of self contained battery box that is easily swapped from vehicle to vehicle. I may be over thinking that a bit, but it seems a shame to have that nice carry handle and not use it for something, lol...

Default snuffy :

Post by snuffy on Jul 2, 2006, 6:11pm

Bluesman....

Have ~36 Swampers on the 'Goat' and has the battery 'cutout' like you have done. Nice job BTW! The Forest Service did this, but BUG cut it out...said the tires bound up on it in a turn in rough terrain.

Just thought I'd pass that on.

Making good progress on the truck... Keep the pics comming!

Snuffy