Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: split rim tire changing

No Worries!
    [/quote]Al - I wasn't reall griping on ya, hope you know...

The stock M7XX wheels are of the Split RING type, NOT the Split RIM type.

Look into OSHA standard 1910.177, there is a type of wheel (maybe a "family" of wheels) that have split wheels and one-piece rings. Ours are the opposite - solid RIMS and split RINGS.

Really.

Maybe THAT'S where the panic attacks come from. I guess the split RIMS are a BEEEEYOTCH.

So there.

Hmm? I always thought (and found when I worked on them) the two piece rims were a lot easier then the the rings.

Hmmm, my guy told me today that he had the opposite results - the split ring was easier to set up than the split rim/solid ring...

Anywhooo, just trying to get the nomenclature straightened out. It's my calling.
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011

Two piece should be easier, but I can see where they would be more dangerous, in incompetent hands that is. Nice thing about the two piece is the ease of added internal beadlocks and being able to fill them with old clothes and such to make em round again if the tube fails. That was a somewhat common WWII fix when tubes were not readily available, whatever it takes to keep rolling
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Default OR then again

I'm not talkng two-piece here, I'm talking of the solid ring, and the wheel itself being split across ?bead-to-bead"m not side-to side like current HMMVV wheels.

Take you ams and stick them out. Now arc thenm together like yopu are hugging a corn-fed Ohio gal, just fingertips touching. THAT'S split rim.

Now take your hands and put 'em togather palm-to-palm, like Brian, well, wrong forum... just palm-to-palm. Now open them and close them over and over. That is two-piece.

Jeeze. (Golly, Tom)
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011

I was workin for Western Auto back in 78 and sent the ring thru the roof of the store and we never found the ring. it sounded like a nuke went off when it let go. LOL!
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

Just make sure to clean the grooves in the wheel where the ring seats really well, same for cleaning the inside of the ring. Knock off all the loose accumlated rust and mud that you can. I used a DA to sand mine smooth on the wheels. A small chisel will knock out the particles in the groove in a hurry. Rough scotchbrite to clean the groove. When going together, put the split in the ring straight across the wheel from the valve stem, you will see a seam in the wheel there. We use dish soap and water for lube, a chain to retain the ring as a safety measure and air up slowly. Good Luck
    Proud owner of two 1968 M0715 trucks....
    Maybe they own me....or soon will!

9. Default

When I removed my original ndts ( and I mean original all had manufacture dates of 67 ) they were a bear. I used some spray type of anti sieze on the rim before mounting the new tires/tubes and rings on the rims. I dont know if this will help or not for later removal what do you guys think?
    Jason