Thread: Cummins with ZF 6 speed

Default Cummins with ZF 6 speed

Has anyone used a ZF 6 speed behind a 6BT Cummins in a M15?

Quote Originally Posted by notime1977 View Post
    Has anyone used a ZF 6 speed behind a 6BT Cummins in a M15?
    ZF6 in a 715...no not to my knowledge thru all the research I've done....

But I'll ask... why?

The adapter plate, clutch, starter and cost of the transmission itself will cost more than 3-5 times the engine most likely.

The G56 that comes behind the modern cummins would be a much cheaper option...(although still x2-3 the cost of a 12 valve itself still)

ZF 5's are x10 more plentifil... which means their parts or a rebuild are 1/2 as much.

The gear ratios in the ZF6 vs the ZF5 is your not gaining a whole lot.

When I was researching G56 and ZF6 for my swap... a nice middle-of-the-road mileage G56 or ZF6 setup... with transfercase, adapter plates, shifters, clutches etc will cost $5-6000 bucks.... most 12 valves are around $2k runners.... $1500 for running rebuilders.

I have one available to use from a work truck with a bad engine. It only has 112,000 miles......
    I can use it & the factory Ford transfer case for free.........only buying an $800 adapter & a Southbend clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by notime1977 View Post
    I have one available to use from a work truck with a bad engine. It only has 112,000 miles......
    I can use it & the factory Ford transfer case for free.........only buying an $800 adapter & a Southbend clutch.
    Your getting $3-4000 for free basically then....

The ZF6 is a wee bit taller than my ZF5... along with a wider faced bell...

It will be tight...

Dieselconversions.com has an adapter kit with flywheel, clutch & all......for $1,849

Did you do anything with that zf6 then? I just bought a '96 6bt and an '04 f-350. I'm going to try doing the zf6 because I haven't seen anyone do it. In the next couple weeks I'm going to start taring into both trucks

As long as your ZF6 came from behind a diesel you can get an adapter. The ones behind the gas engines don't have an adapter that will get it to a 6BT. I know because I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn View Post
    As long as your ZF6 came from behind a diesel you can get an adapter. The ones behind the gas engines don't have an adapter that will get it to a 6BT. I know because I tried.
    Mine is powered by a 6.0 powerstroke. I just bought it at auction. I'm glad it's the 6.0 because I was looking at gas jobs too. I didn't know that they were different trannys.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorheadjs View Post
    Mine is powered by a 6.0 powerstroke. I just bought it at auction. I'm glad it's the 6.0 because I was looking at gas jobs too. I didn't know that they were different trannys.
    Bellhousings are all different, you can get an adapter for the 7.3 one and the 6.0 one, none for the 5.4 gasser. Ford did offer the front half of the case so I could have changed mine over but I think it was $2k or so 8 years ago.