Thread: Electrolysis....

....it's not just for your wife's back anymore.

A friend of mine told me about this method of getting rusty stuff clean without the use of sandpaper.
    Here's the link. All the parts can be gotten from Wal-Mart for under $50.
    http://www.davidbradley.net/ERR.html

Here's a pic of what the results look like after a night in the tank running the battery charger on 12 volts and 20 amps:
    [img]http://photo.starblvd.net/WBrianS/1-1-4-1076649420?m=1&pg=0&ro=0&co=3&pw=*C093FFDA634[/img]

And thus concludes my 1st non BS post that was purely posted to help others.
    -B.

Default Electrolysis....

well done! that looks impressive. Just so happens I have a cheap battery charger that might work for that. Will test it this week.Thanks!
    **I heart Bump_r **

Default I admire what you did, Tacoma

That process is called 'blackening.' When I worked in the CNC machine shop, that was a standard process as a finish coating on certain jobs. They simplified in you pic, by letting it get a slight rust color where we would acid dip to 'etch' the steel so that the blacking would get into it. It's kind of like a different for of blueing.
    Big Blocks RULE!

For you farm boys, molasses works wonders too. I think the ratio is 50/50 water to molasses and dip your rusty parts. It takes longer than the electrolysis though. Not recommended for aluminum parts. It'll remove most anything, leaving fresh bare metal.

I might try this route on the T-case big parts.

Chris

I had a recipe for a drano/water mixture that would stay active for days or weeks if heated, great for removing paint. If anyone is interested post so,and I'll dig it out, otherwise you could probably find it on the net. It is by far cheaper than store bought stripper.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.