Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: barrman : Observations

Default barrman : Observations

Observations
    Post by barrman on Jul 11, 2006, 9:06am

I don't get to daily drive the M715 anymore like I did for years because of fuel cost. So, now when I do get to drive it, I notice more stuff. I know a lot of people are upgraded their trucks for daily use and thought I would add some of my observations.

Rear Locker: Great add on. Really fun in the rain with the 230 and NDT's. Can you say powerslides? The big block makes the locker almost dangerous in the rain. I also eat up tires if I don't keep them really high psi. 35 + for front NDT's and 80 for XZL's.

NP200 straight through conversion: Didn't help the over heating at all. But, no noise sure is nice. I would save your money for a NP205 if your choice is straight through or a swap. I decided to gamble on the heat and lost. They are about the same price. I will now have a really really expensive NP205 since I have done both. ($175 VPW straight through conversion kit 12/03, $100 NP205 11/05, flanges and yokes for NP205 $50-$100.)

Big Block V8: Amazing. Being able to pull a trailer loaded down and a bed full of stuff and still pass people is great. Plus, the sound is just music to my ears. Side exhaust sounds good, but heat dictates that you should run it out the back with the mufflers under the bed.

NV4500. Being able to do all the stuff above, plus get 12-13 mpg on the highway is really cool. The only complaint I have about the NV is the long shift throw. I grew up driving sports cars and racing SCCA stuff. Trying to do a heel/toe downshift with the NV4500 doesn't work all that good. I doubt anybody else will notice this though.

Corvette MC: My old mc was bad and I had to replace it anyway. This dual line mc stops the truck great. I would recommend that you lengthen the push rod though. I had a lot of trouble at the FE because of it. My engine didn't like the hills and stalled some. My foot was so far down on the brakes, that I couldn't get any part of it on the gas to restart. Again, probably just something I would notice. But, since I didn't lengthen mine in anticipaction of a Hydroboost in the future. I can only blame myself.

Michelin XZL tires. Looks alone should sell you on these tires. Road manners are great, they don't rub and once you air them down to around 10-15 psi, they do great in the dirt. (I tried at 80 and got stuck a lot.)

Roadster doors: I really like these things when I am in shorts and playing around on dry days. Driving to work in nice clothes and it is raining, drizzle, run off from a sprinkler, gets picked up by the front tire, I wear it. I can slide in and out of the gap when in shorts, but not in jeans. They fit great until yesterday when Colton decided to use the passenger door as a swing. I have to refit the hinge/latch now.

Roll bar/ bikinni top rack: I love having the top off my truck. I hate having to bend down my head to get in under the stock top bows or a hard top. Making a seperate bikinni top rack makes this a true topless truck and so much more fun to drive. Especially at night.

On Board Air: I love it. Kind of a hassle to get it right. But, it sure is usefull. I couldn't have done what I did with my trailer tires/wheels at the FE without it. I then blew up a hose and had to use DP's oba to finish airing up my tires the last night. Thanks again DP! I would recommend oba or some kind of air tank.

Default luckypabst :

Re: Observations
    Post by luckypabst on Jul 11, 2006, 10:08am

Cool post Tim!

Default boghog :

Post by boghog on Jul 11, 2006, 10:48am

Wow! Thanks, After reading that I have changed my plans. Its a pleasure to learn from others experiences, cost less too. LOL. Thanks again

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Jul 11, 2006, 8:53pm

I drove home and remembered what I think is the most important modification as far as driving pleasure. Power steering! I added it 4 years ago when I still had the 230. I am so used to it that I don't even think about it any more. At the FE, I made it up a few trails before others. I would walk back down and advise the next one up on what not to do. Those without ps put me straight that my idea of "go up there, turn real hard, go a few more feet, turn full lock the other way and then..." was not to their liking. I think some of the guys would have looked like body builders if we had stayed a few more days.

I have a 66 K20 that I built years ago, but didn't add ps. I don't even want to start the truck hardly. Especially since I have 35x12.5 BFG tires on it.

Another mod I don't think about anymore is the lock out hubs. They work and everybody knows how.

If I had another stock truck that had a good engine and was going to build it up to handle 95% of the terrain I have ever seen trails on and didn't care about going more than 50 mph. I would add front and rear lockers, lock out hubs, power steering and Michelin tires. That is it. Several stock 230 powered trucks kept up with a pair of big blocks and a few small blocks at the FE. The lockers are the great equalizers. Power steering is for comfort and "want to drive it ability." Lock out hubs make the front locker streetable and the tires speak for themselves, plus they actually increase your speed from 50 to 54 without hurting the t-case.

Didn't mean to ramble on. Just remembered a few more things.

Default hiker :

Post by hiker on Jul 11, 2006, 8:56pm

Great info.

Default oilcan :

Post by oilcan on Jul 12, 2006, 5:12am

Good post man.
    When I got back from the FE, I also made a list of mods that would make the truck better the next time out. First up was more experience. There were a lot of times when someone who knew what they were doing would have had no trouble with my truck where I was having fits. Of course that experience takes time, and it ain't free! I can't argue with the locker business at all, either. Since I can't afford one right now, I almost talked myself into welding the spiders up. Had a whole conversation with Doug about it. I'm still on the fence. Maybe I should wait for a real locker...

Since I went from a set of square-profile tires to the XL's, I haven't had as much trouble out of the non-power steering. I've never driven a truck with NDT's, so it might not be that big of a deal. A power setup is on the list, but it's not the highest priority.

Diesels are good on hills, if you have the traction. No carb to ruin your day.

Default compexp :

Post by compexp on Jul 12, 2006, 12:04pm

power steering was a major improvement for me. Also, moving the driveshaft, as you mentioned - saved what's left of my hearing.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Jul 13, 2006, 11:52am

One other thing to add. Well, actually two.

Joe's M715 with the 454 and TH700R4 went over just about everything he tried at a nice slow pace with him in complete control. Not all of us with standard transmissions can say the same. Matter of fact, his truck went over some obsticles with very young and inexperienced drivers that the rest of us never made. I wanted to make sure that he and his truck got attention I think it deserves.

I don't like automatics for several reasons. But, if I was going to build one of these trucks to play in the rocks, I would really look into that option.

Default blairdes :

Post by blairdes on Jul 13, 2006, 6:05pm

Tim,
    What do you think of the cummins 4bt? The next purchase for the rebuild is the engine. On the fence between the cummins, a straight 350 or a 383 stoker. Any thoughts?
    Rob

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jul 13, 2006, 6:20pm

Timmer:

your prejudice against automatics is the last vestige of Old Skool Thinking. I know because I was the same way: they are finicky, they overheat, they're full of tiny parts, grrr

A big cooler and a competent builder are what you need and you will never look back... at least if there are any hills around. All my junk will be automatic forevermore.