Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New 68 M715

Default New 68 M715

I just acquired a 68 M715. I don't have much information about it and it need some work before its drivable. Any suggestions where to find parts or information as I need it. (truck is completely stock and hasn't run since 1988)

You have found it!....Ask away on particulars and we will help however we can...My great grandmother lived in Hellertown, haven't been there in years.
    Is that real money?

Welcome! As mentioned above, this is THE place to come for information. If you ask specifics, many of us can steer you to what you need and/or need to know.

I am a stock guy and try to keep my truck as it came from Kaiser in 1969. The manuals above are all about this truck. If you intend to keep it stock, it is very easy. There are however a few parts that just are not available. But many perishable items are out there.

Ask away and we love pictures.

Happy Holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    Welcome! As mentioned above, this is THE place to come for information. If you ask specifics, many of us can steer you to what you need and/or need to know.

I am a stock guy and try to keep my truck as it came from Kaiser in 1969. The manuals above are all about this truck. If you intend to keep it stock, it is very easy. There are however a few parts that just are not available. But many perishable items are out there.

Ask away and we love pictures.

Happy Holidays.
    X2 on what Don said

Welcome and Merry Christmas
    Best wishes of a New Year, providing you with the time and enthusiasm to get acquainted with your new truck

Default Wiring

My truck is old and has been sitting since 1988, the wiring in it has become... crispy... are there any good aftermarket harnesses or is it better (and cheaper) to just rewire it on my own.

My truck is old and has been sitting since 1988, the wiring in it has become... crispy... are there any good aftermarket harnesses or is it better (and cheaper) to just rewire it on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Rtech1841 View Post
    What I have found (on my truck) is that the wires are usually in bad shape where they were exposed to the atmosphere. However, under the black non-adhesive wrapping, they were like new. Maybe you could get some vintage 14 AWG rubber coated wire and splice under the wrapping a new piece where it is bad. I don't know how many wires are bad in your harness. I didn't crimp the splice, rather soldered it and covered with heat shrink tubing.

If you check the auction site, often they have wiring harnesses for other vehicles which is a wealth of connectors, ends and wire. You can cut off what you need.

Just a thought though...

A "correct" replacement harness would be super expensive, you can get an affordable new harness from speedway or summit or one of the hot rod companies. Like Don said, might way cheaper to just repair some spots but that is going to depend on your assessment of your harness..
    Is that real money?

Welcome, take some time to read around here on the Zone as you can probably find the answer to most of your questions, if not then ask up, there are a lot of very knowledgeable members here. As for a wiring harness, there is really only one place that makes factory style replacement harnesses and that is Vintage Wiring of Maine, http://vintagewiring.com/product-cat...m-series/m715/ Just be aware they are fairly expensive harnesses. The other options are to make your own using the kits from Summit and other "hot rod" places, or search ebay for surplus M-series wire harnesses. The M-series trucks all use a standardized accessories and all have the same numbering, and with a little work you can adapt one to you needs. I helped a buddy do this on his M37, we used a surplus harness for a M35 gasser and was able to make it work.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

If you do decide to repair the wiring in your truck, please know that there are basically two different connectors. One is called a "Douglas" which has a metal shell and the other is called "Packard" which is what our M715 uses. You can often find surplus wiring harnesses for a 5-ton etc. and take the wire that you need.