Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Radiator for 7.3 diesel?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    My 6x6 (6BT) gets about 13MPG. Highway is 65-70MPH. One time I got 15... Towing a car on a trailer on a long trip, go figure.
    Was just looking at your rig

Very impressive
    1967 M715 7.3 diesel 5spd ...

I'm curious what my Spring Under, 4.10 axle swapped, ZF 5 speed OD/Married 205 cummins VE will get.... hoping for high teens.
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Any thoughts on whether or not the CJ V8 conversion radiator will be up to the task of cooling my 5.9L 12 valve?
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Venom, your mileage should be better than mine.
    My wheels and tires are very heavy, well over 200 lbs each. I can weigh them but a steel 22.5 rim and 11R22.5 tire is quite a load to spin.
    I'm spring over so I have a lot more frontal area therefor a lot more wind resistance.
    Air resistance is directly proportional to area, the velocity is squared so any speed increase will be exponential.
    Mine seems to be running a little hot when under load but barely makes heat when just putting around. This seems a consequence to the indirect injection, you don't have that issue.
    I was hoping for 16-18 ... didn't quite get there.

Yes I have stock axles. 2,000 rpm is 54 mph. Right in the middle of the 6.2 torque curve. It is happy there.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by venominjected View Post
    I'm curious what my Spring Under, 4.10 axle swapped, ZF 5 speed OD/Married 205 cummins VE will get.... hoping for high teens.
    I built a M715 with 4.10s, Getrag, 6BT (VE), spring under and 37" tires. Driving like a maniac it would get 15MPG, 17 if driven normally.

Any thoughts on whether or not the CJ V8 conversion radiator will be up to the task of cooling my 5.9L 12 valve?
    I would put the biggest radiator you can fit. Heat removal is a function of power, the more power you have the more heat removal capacity you need. The 5.9 is super efficient but it still makes a ton of heat if you tow.

Mikel can probably answer this question much better than me ...

I was constrained a lot by the inlet to the water pump on the 7.3. It was right behind the belt and the steering box was right below and forward of it. I had to build a crossover pipe to get it to the passenger side.

The whole reason I started this thread was that I couldn't find anyone who wrote up any info using my configuration. I wished I had more radiator for when I was pulling. Glad I opened up the core support area and managed to get the 28" wide radiator in.

Paul

Barrman

In 5th on the hiway I'm cruising at 1600 to 1800, this is about 65-70 mph. Its a little below where the 7.3 want to sit. She really needs a bit more gear.

I have an 82 chevy with the 6.2 and have had a couple 7.3 IDI fords. They have an almost identical power bands, the 7.3 makes a tad more power though.

I really like the 715 with the older diesel. Love the sound and it just feels better on the road. These trucks really should have been mechanical diesels from the start.

In my 6x6 I was weary of butchering the core support, so I put a small radiator (I had a plan B if that didn't work out). Towing a car on a trailer on the highway at 70MPH in July it didn't overheat (I kept the mechanical fan). You will be fine. These engines put out a very moderate amount of heat. Great for efficiency, very bad in the winter

Quote Originally Posted by 12998 View Post
    I would put the biggest radiator you can fit. Heat removal is a function of power, the more power you have the more heat removal capacity you need. The 5.9 is super efficient but it still makes a ton of heat if you tow.

Mikel can probably answer this question much better than me ...

I was constrained a lot by the inlet to the water pump on the 7.3. It was right behind the belt and the steering box was right below and forward of it. I had to build a crossover pipe to get it to the passenger side.

The whole reason I started this thread was that I couldn't find anyone who wrote up any info using my configuration. I wished I had more radiator for when I was pulling. Glad I opened up the core support area and managed to get the 28" wide radiator in.

Paul
    Hello Paul,
    Unfortunately I know nothing about those engines, but looks like you came up with a good solution. Somethings things don't fit easily