Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: My second M715 build. What was I thinking?

It's been a while since I've worked on the truck. Today I decided it was time to move it into the garage for the winter.

I rigged a couple batteries to the front bumper and tried to start it. No spark. What I failed to notice when I got it running the first time was the 12 volt civilian coil pack. I must have fried it when I drove it to where it has been parked all summer.

I do have a stock distributor on the the engine I removed from my first M715. As far as I know it is still in working condition. I would also need to swap all the brackets / accessories from that engine to this one. For now I will probably get the engine running using the parts I already have.

What I am thinking about as a long term plan is putting in a 6.5 turbo and making the truck an automatic with power steering and power brakes. I am also thinking of making it dual voltage. I need to study up on how the CUCV works. I think I want to have both 24 and 12 volts on this M715.

I decided to try a new 12 volt civilian coil instead of bothering with swapping the ignitions around from my old engine to this truck engine. It works. I got the engine fired up in no time.

I started out by running the coil from 12 volts on one battery just to see if I could get it running. Then after I heard it run on the new coil I added the bad coil in series with the new coil.

The windings on the primary side (12 volt side) of the bad coil are still intact. So when I put the two 12 volt coils in series I can run 24 volts through both and not have a problem. (At least that's the theory).

With the old coil wired in series ahead of the new coil I started the truck. It purrs like a kitten.

Everything is just cobbled together right now but I will probably get everything cleaned up and connected a little more permanent after I get the new floor in.

I will probably build this 12 volt regulator (or actually a 9 volt variant) and run the 12 volt ignition while I have the stock engine in the truck. To make it 9 volt you would substitute a 7809 in place of the 7812. The new 12 volt coil I put in is supposed to have a ballast resistor so I'm pretty sure I will burn it up if I continue to run it at 13 volts.

Well my excitement was short lived.

I thought I'd run the engine for a bit to warm it up so I could set the timing. I don't have the water pump connected yet so I didn't plan to run it too long...but it didn't matter. The engine starts (sometimes hard, sometimes quickly) but stalls out fairly quickly. It runs great for about five seconds. It seems like it may be starving for gas.

I made a new steel fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb and installed a clear fuel filter this morning. When the engine stalls the fuel filter is still full.

I don't think the carb is original or stock. It is a single barrel Holley but looks different than the carb on my other engine from the '69.

I am running the truck from a one gallon gas can sitting under the hood with a short line from the lift pump to the gas can.

I'm guessing the carb needs to be cleaned because after it stalls out if I pump the accelerator lever on the carb I don't hear any fuel being pumped into the intake. If I let it sit for a while and crank it over a bit I can then hear the fuel being pumped into the intake when I pump the accelerator lever.

One other thing I have noticed is I don't see a fuel return line anywhere. Could I be over pressurizing the carb and blocking a jet or something?

Anyone have any suggestions for things to try?

I'm wondering if I should just replace this ignition and the carb with the stock units from the other engine? The main reason I haven't done that is because the cap on the other dizzy looks to be broken. One of the plug wires does not stay attached to the cap.

Well it's been a long time since I've done anything on this one but I may be getting going again soon.

Last weekend I moved the truck from it's "lawn ornament" spot in the yard to my driveway. I decided to try getting the engine running before I started on the body work. I spent a few minutes setting up a gas can and a fuel line to the carb and several minutes later I had the engine started again. It was running great just like when I first started it a couple years ago.

After doing some more looking around I noticed that the engine isn't a stock military engine. The motor mounts are at the front of the engine. None of the accessories are military.

I hadn't made up my mind what direction I was going to go with this build but I'm pretty sure it will not go back to stock at this point.

With that in mind I decided to start on some body work. I cut out the rockers and started planning on what I would do to replace them. I decided I would build new ones out of 1/4" plate steel.

I took some pictures but am having problems logging into my picture account. I'll try again later to get them uploaded.

Sorry for the image sizes.
    Last edited by jeeper; June 8th, 2016 at 10:28 PM.

Keep the pictures coming Paul
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Tacked together to see the shape.

And getting ready to pull the bottom piece off to weld it from the inside.

I'm thinking about turning the rockers into air tanks. By my calculations I should be able to hold just over a gallon in each rocker. It's just a thought at this point though. I would need to be pretty confident in my welds to actually store any air in them though. And if I were ever in a wreck I wouldn't want to be sitting on a possible explosive.

Slowly but steadily...

It looks like its coming along pretty good.
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Thanks George. I am learning as I go.

And after some new steel and some bondoglass.

Some sanding to do later and some body filler should have this rocker wrapped up.

Then I need to decide if I want to do the floor on this side or move to the other side and do that rocker?