Thread: Cowl to Windshield Frame Gasket Alternatives

Default Cowl to Windshield Frame Gasket Alternatives

Guys,

I know memphis and others (memphis is the sole reproducer) make windshield frame to cowl gaskets.

In all my research on the zone everyone mentions that a M38A1 gasket or a CJ-5/CJ7 gasket looks similar and that "they were going to try it."

Consequently I haven't seen anyone come back and verify it will indeed work... or that the gasket material was too short/incorrect.

$60 for a gasket seems ludicrious in my honest opinion.

Someone has to sell a 20' roll for like $20 that is "close enough". (Pretty much what the windshield gasket costs.)

Thoughts or input?
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

I was just bidding on one on Ebay for my M715. Somebody outbid me at $91! I wasn't about to go higher. Ridiculous.

That price isn't so bad. Go ahead and have a small batch of gaskets made for you. And then hang onto them for 20 years before they are all sold. $60 isn't so bad when all you need is one.

But in reality its a Large flange T-gasket with a chamfer edge and a flat boltable edge..

I'm tempted to put a bulb gasket on and be done with it. Buy a few 6' pieces of stock of a variety for $20 and have at it...

That is not what the cowl to windshield gasket looks like.

The gasket on the left is what it looks like.

About about T gasket or a flange bulb gasket and just drill your own holes. (I dont have defrost)

How thick is the flat on those? The cowl gasket is about 1/4" to 3/8" thick. and you have to pull the windshield pretty hard to latch it down because it compresses.

And would the bulb be a problem in that it might catch water and direct it between the windshield frame and the gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    That price isn't so bad. Go ahead and have a small batch of gaskets made for you. And then hang onto them for 20 years before they are all sold. $60 isn't so bad when all you need is one.
    Very true, and I'm thankful that there are vendors out there willing to invest in tooling to reproduce items needed to keep our trucks alive.

Mine's done with camper seal. I think it works ok, but there are enough other leaks I can't be sure.

I've got a hardtop, and don't open the windshield, so the thickness/clamping isn't important to me...

Seals-It started a thread recently asking for ideas for new rubber products. If they get enough emails, maybe they'll make some 715 stuff!
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...uct-ideas.html

The cowl gasket is molded for the defrost and much thicker than you guys are showing for an alternate gasket. whith the wrong one in on there, the water will come thru the defroster ducts and end up in the cab. its been talked about on here before. I bought one from memphis and am very happy with it, like everything Ive bought from them just about.