Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chevy Swap with a 2wd 465

Default Chevy Swap with a 2wd 465

Finally getting parts together to start the motor swap in my truck, looking for advice or a nudge in the right direction.

Truck is currently stock except for 12v conversion, completely stock drivetrain.
    Engine is a Chevy 8.1l big block from a 2002 Blue Bird school bus, I have the full stand alone harness from LSX4U.com
    Finally found a 2wd SM465 granny low 4 speed, and trying to get a hydraulic throwout bellhousing from my buddy, or I can have a mechanical linkage one for free.
    The plan so far has been 69 Chevy pickup motor mounts, because they'll work with the existing frame horns, correct?
    Then find where the trans mount falls, and extend/rebuild the trans cross member.
    Into the factory NP200 divorced case, hopefully no mods to the driveshaft, or shorten it, I hate trying to lengthen a driveshaft.

Biggest hurdle for me right now is figuring out the magic mounting setup to be as little work as possible. I can fabricate, but if I don't have to then great.
    Anyone else done a 2wd 4 speed swap with the factory tcase that can point me in a direction? I don't need to be spoon fed, but search results here can be light on tech, just looking for a nudge.

I read one where the guy (tomahawksomething) had done a SBC/SM420 swap using factory engine mounts and lightly modified transmission crossmember, but no real details or pics.

Or am I just overthinking all of this?

I did a 396/nv4500 swap to replace the stock set up on mine in 2005. I didn't want to change drive shafts either. So I got a conversation u-joint to bolt the transmission to the short shaft. That set my engine front to back and up and down.

Motor mounts followed with Spicer Plates to the stock ones. I kept it basically the same when I put the 6.2 in 4 years ago. Works great.

Yes, a married transmission/ transfer case would be better in my opinion but I haven't got to it yet.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Default 350 SBC with SM465 to stock NP200 TC

My 350SBC/SM465/NP200 set up uses a somewhat modified M725 crossmember for the rear mount. I fabbed the rear crossmember accommodate a GM bonded rubber rear transmission mount that was used to install the SM465 in a mid 70's Chevy truck. I built a new torque arm that connects with what I think are the stock torque arm mounts.
    Yeah, I'll admit that I'm an over thinker, so there my be an easier way to do this than I did - but I'm happy with the result.

I did sweat the details and the project budget a bit to buy the Spicer parts to assemble a short divorced shaft between SM465 and np200- that has a slip joint. Parts were expensive for these, but my stock shaft was damaged and too long anyway.i

The front SBC engine mounts still need work, but connect okay right now to modified M715 front engine mounts. (hack job done by a previous owner)

Ill see if I can load some pics below.

edit: I hate photo bucket- its always been 6 steps and too much work, but now it won't work at all.
    message me if you want photos. I have lots of this part of my project.
    Bryce
    Last edited by brycer1968; May 10th, 2017 at 02:39 AM.
    1969 M725 ambulance

If you don't want to move mounts keep the t-98 and buy the Novak adapter?

My SBC mounts weren't going to line up with the stock horns because I used a longer transmission, had to scootch the engine forward a hair... an gave more clearance for the HEI.
    I cut the stock horns off, hung the engine/trans where I wanted it and then just fabbed around it. I used both halves of the 85 Chevy donor mounting brackets, bolted the bottom half to a plate welded on the new frame horns.

At first I wasn't keen on cutting the stock horns off, but after I priced adapters I realized they were coming off whether they lined up or not...

Mine was easy because I didn't have to mess with lining the transmission shifter up in the cab.

The bad part about using the Chevy's is making sure you have room for the Dizzy.

My next one will be a Ford 390/T18/divorced Dodge NP205. Plan on setting the 205 in place first so no drive shaft changes, then hang the 390/T18 in place using the stock jack shaft and fabbing mounts for them at that time.... assuming the dimensions of the T18 and T98 are similar.

If the 465 is similar to the T98 in length...

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    ....assuming the dimensions of the T18 and T98 are similar..
    The main body dimensions are the same, other than different applications may have slightly different length tailshafts.
    I think you will find the M715 bellhousing is deeper than what Ford used on 390's, but I'm no Ford expert although I have a friend who is.

Lots of good transmission, transfercase, etc info here: https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledg...anual/t18-t19/
    Roy

Ok guys thanks for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by ou719 View Post
    If you don't want to move mounts keep the t-98 and buy the Novak adapter?
    I'm into the 2wd 4 speed for $100, and I can get the rest of the bellhousing stuff for free.

Von: I get to luck out a little, 8.1 has no distributor, and the EGR piece on the back of the intake was already removed

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    Von: I get to luck out a little, 8.1 has no distributor, and the EGR piece on the back of the intake was already removed
    Oh, cool beans! Yeah, that thing was in just the wrong place!
    I always forget about all the newfangledy electronic stuffs. HEI is as advanced as I want to mess with...
    Although... if I ever wreck my Pontiac GTP I may check into using the supercharged 3.8 with a BOP 700r4... might be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrykan View Post
    The main body dimensions are the same, other than different applications may have slightly different length tailshafts.
    I think you will find the M715 bellhousing is deeper than what Ford used on 390's, but I'm no Ford expert although I have a friend who is.

Lots of good transmission, transfercase, etc info here: https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledg...anual/t18-t19/
    Thanks Roy, I'll check that out!

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Oh, cool beans! Yeah, that thing was in just the wrong place!
    I always forget about all the newfangledy electronic stuffs. HEI is as advanced as I want to mess with...
    Although... if I ever wreck my Pontiac GTP I may check into using the supercharged 3.8 with a BOP 700r4... might be fun.
    Yeah its a little newer than I'd like, but it fell into my lap with the medium duty Allison, made a deal with the huge trans to get the harness made, only 4 wires to hook up now I drove the bus before I pulled the motor ran real nice. Figured when its done it'll be a sleeper. Old beat up M715, but flick the key and it starts right up like a new truck

Those Pontiac 3.8a might be the GM 60* V6 pattern, not the 90* V8 BOP style, not 100% though. Would make a fun engine in something else though!