Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Towbar for 37 and 715

OK so this is the unobtainium model? We musta been weak ass back in the day cause what you all are calling the medium tow bar was the one I thought was to heavy to use. LOL

Now so I get this right,
    Light towbar 2 1/4" outer tubes and both legs adjustable with 1/2 pins but swing pin and feet pins are 1"

Medium Towbar has 3 1/2 inch outer tubes, both legs adjust and swing, feet and length pins are all 1"

Then the towbar from hell is the only model that only adjusts on one leg?

If thats true then maybe we were screwing the bar from hell for the duces cause I thought they only has one adjustable leg.

One more note.... Didn't the later light towbars come with collars at the front tubes? And they made a retro kit for older ones? Or was that the medium bar?
    Last edited by mrjeep; May 18th, 2017 at 01:29 PM.

Your list seems to be correct.

Yes, some of the newer medium tow bars had collars on the end of the female tube.

There is also the aluminum IBEK medium to bar rated at 44,000 pounds. I can pick that one up complete all by myself.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Alright, Thanks for helping me remember and setting it straight.

I thought the bars I have were the rare ones. I had a difficult time finding my first one 25 years ago. I stumbled on a the 2nd one (pictured) some 15 years ago believing they were even harder to find then.

Anyone know why M715 is not to be flat towed with said bar?

And didn't IBEK's have failure issues?

I heard the IBEK's had failure issues. Who knew aluminum is not really as strong as steel?

The collar on the medium tow bars was a modificiation made because they were getting bent towing the 5-ton and bigger trucks. Soldier A can break anything.

Many have flat-towed the M715 and I have as well with the medium tow-bar. I don't know why they specifically prohibit flat-towing the M715. probably something with brakes or steering geometry.

If you flat tow with it and the M715 craps out, then you can remind us why they recommend against it.

BTW, yours is only the 3rd light tow bar I have ever seen. Mediums are a dime a dozen. And you can't give the "towbar from hell" away for free.

Want me to show you my other one so you can say you have seen 4. That prolly wasn't very nice since they are that hard to find. I didn't mean it that way though.

So Im not looking to sell them but should I have them separately insured these days? I mean what would the market bare now?

Yes, the IBEK ones can break if not set up properly. They have a stowed position for the legs and a towing position. They also have an up and down. As Kwai wrote. "Soldier A can screw up anything." I have pulled my M715 and several M1009 trucks with the IBEK and no issues. It sure is nice to be able to do all the hooking and un hooking by myself and not hurt for a week.

I don't like to flat tow the M715. It just feels wrong pulling. Different front tires, different tire pressures and different pull vehicles seem to make no difference. It just doesn't feel like the thing wants to play that game.

However, pulling a M35 with another M35 or even the M715 just feels like a heavy load and everything is happy.

Brute4c had his front brakes catch on fire while flat towing his M715 several years ago. Other people have had similar issues. Just be alert when pulling it is my advice.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Want me to show you my other one so you can say you have seen 4.
    Show me yours and I will show you mine.

I've flat-towed my M715/J300 hybrid several times and never had a problem. And this is a vehicle substantially heavier than stock.

Brakes catch on fire??? I haul trailers so it sounds like the 715 would be like my Rockwoods. Don't buy Rockwoods they don't pull nice either. When you pull an M35 with a 715 how the hell do you stop?

Im gonna have to finish my adapters for the 715 and go drag it around just to see. I found a set of rough castings way back when they were unobtainium but never finished them out.

Anyone care to speculate on the value of the light towbars? I don't want to sell but seriously I feel I need to get up to speed for insurance purposes.

that dual rear wheel m715 is nice