Thread: M715 4l80e, np205 swap need help please

Default M715 4l80e, np205 swap need help please

Hi, appreciate all the help in advance. I have 1967 M715 engines been swapped to BBC 454, gears 465, Ford kingpin front.Still has the 200 transfer case and T98 tranny.

I will go with 4L80E with NP 205, this week the FItech fuel injection swap will be completed and I believe I will get the computer for the tranny from TCI. I need advice with regard the driveshaft if someone will recommend a company and also with regard the tranny. The wheels will be 17x14 and tires are 44x19.50. Also do I need to do any modification for the 4L80E to adapt on the divorced NP205? which computer for the 4l80e I should look at, so I can link it with the fuel injection? It will be minimal off-road and 90% highway drive. Thank you

I just put a 4l80e into a 6.5 turbo powered '87 Suburban. TCI looked good when I first started searching for controllers. Then I started reading reviews and talking to people. They have a lot of hidden cost in all the wires and connections. Plus, it seems their customer service is basically non existent.

Quick shift 4 and compushift is what I narrowed things down to. I tried calling both companies to ask questions. Nobody ever answered at quick shift. The compushift guy not only answered, but told me the color of the wires I had for tsp and Vss plugs. Compushift doesn't need a computer. Quick shift 4 does. I don't have a lap top for programming so that left me with the seemingly more expensive Compushift.

I also liked the 8 parameter display the Compushift has. Quick shift has a single lparamater you can change between.

Adding it all up, they are pretty close to the same price. Customer service won me over to Compushift. I installed it a few weeks ago and am just this afternoon doing my very first drive of the vehicle. I haven't gotten to play much yet but like what I see.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Appreciate a lot, will give them a call on Monday. Trying to figure out the driveshaft, I live in Florida so for some reason its hard if not impossible to find anyone here especially Miami. Do you recommend buying the tranny from a specific company? or buy a cheap one and then rebuild it? I checked Novak but I called them yesterday they didn't answer so I will try on Monday.

1991-1993 have to have updated solenoids and wiring to work with any controller you buy.

1994 had the new wiring and solenoids but not mounts needed to work in 1995 and newer GM trucks.

So, any 1991-1994 will be cheaper when buying used because they won't work in one way or another on any stock GM vehicle newer than that. 1994 is the unicorn year. It will only work in a stock 1994 GM vehicle. They are cheaper by a lot when looking used.

Amazon has wiring and solenoids that can be swapped out very easily for a lot less than the price difference between the above listed years and the newer more desirable years.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I bought a stage 2 4l80e from Novak paired with an np242. They did a great job with the rebuild, as I have had another transmission shop replace the outer case (North Texas Customs chipped the case when they were doing some work for me). They commented only positively over the work and parts used by Novak.
    As far as drive shaft goes, I used Tom Woods to custom build me a drive shaft. You can simply plug In some measurements for they and thru can build you exactly what you need. You will need to look at the order form they walk you through how to order. Its a pretty well respected name as far as drive shafts go for people wheeling Jeeps it seems. How this helps!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I will call novak and tom woods on monday and check prices. Thank you for the help.

Actually I believe a TH400 will be a much better rout and much better when it comes $$. shops here quoted me crazy $$ for the 4l80e. What you think of th400 with 205 tc?

I am still waiting for th400 swap estimate, but what i understand its a much easier process than the 4l80e because it doesn't have any electronics. Also if anyone knows a shop in florida close to broward that would be very very helpful. Appreciate all the help.

What are you running for tire size? You might want the overdrive of the 4l80.....The 400 will be cheaper, but not necessarily better....
    Is that real money?

Now I have 16x10 on 38x15.50 micky thomson. I will change to 17x14 on 44x19.50 pitbull rockers. It will be highway drive most of the time, no off-road here at all. When my mechanic did the calculation with the tire size I believe it was 3200 rpm on 75mph