Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solid motor mounts?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I see ads for solid motor mounts. What would be the dissadvantage of that?
    Right now I have a piece of plate steel with the 3 bolts into my 350, and in the opposite direction there is one bolt through a deuce and 1/2 motor mount (doughnut) into the frame horn. This works on a SBC as there is space between the plate and the actual block and in this space is the head of the one bolt that goes into my frame horn.
    The problem I have is that my BBC has no space between the plate and the block to fit the head of the bolt.
    I was pondering just welding the plate to the frame horn as I always plan to run some sort of GM motor and this way would be alot easier.

Would this be a solid motor mount? Would this work? Is this too ghetto to be discussed seriously here?
    -B.

Do you mean to eliminate all rubber or vibration dampening material and just go engine to frame? If you do, then it will just be a lot of vibration and noise. No real harm except for what gets shaken up.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Don't.

Lot's of vibes, will probably break apart, and if you ever get loose anywhere and hit some with enough force to tweak the frame you are putting ENORMOUS strain on the engine casting. It IS possible to distory the block under severe circumstances.
    Big Blocks RULE!

Good point about the frame acting on the engine. I was only thinking the other way.

However, I have always wanted to build a car that has the engine and transaxle as the frame, like the Indy cars. Kind of a Can-Am Hot Rod.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

My 6.2 diesel has solid motormounts. I don't notice any more vibration then usual and I run it pretty hard.
    Novak's orginal Chevy V8 kits all had solid mounts, so I would bet there are quite a number M715's out there with solid mounts.

Rollie

Ah! HA! And there is what I was hopeing for.

Rollie, not to pry- but what kind of mounts are they? They something you made of bought?

I don't figure that if I wreck my rig bad enought that the frame is tweaked that I'm gonna be freaking out over the motor being stressed. And I think what I have now is about as close to solid mounts as you could get.

I appreciate it all,
    -B.

Solid motor mounts are used in drag racing to stop the clutch linkage from binding, or comming apart, while doing high torque power shifts. You are asking for nothing but problems if you use them. Besides the vibrations that they transfer, I have seen the sides of the block cracked from their use. Remember that the weakest link in the chain always breaks first. M1028
    If your not breakin\' something - Your NOT makin\' enough torque !!

I have been running moroso solid mounts in mine for two years mounted to the stock frame horns. no vibrations. I do monitor the condition of the block and frame. Be sure to run a rubber trans mount so something gives instead of your bellhousing.

I also used to have a '72 chevy pick up with a radical 468, It also had solid mounts. I drove it hard everyday for 8 years with no problems or vibrations. I have seen problems with some home made mounts breaking up block castings and causing vibrations, I don't think they were set up properly. Good Luck!

Stupid question, but aren't all solid mounts like made out of poly something or another? So in effect they absorb the vibration? Or are they like rock solid chunks of steel?
    Zone holster maker

Default NP200 Idler gear Removal

solid mounts are just steel