Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 volt light bulbs

All,

Has anyone every published a list of 12 volt bulb numbers? Seems I saw a list somewhere but my searches come up "nada." M725 folks: need 12volt bulbs for seachlight and surgical light. General question: will the stock gauges work when I reduce power to them? I've read the posts on the fuel gauge so need to address that. But the others? Will they just produce half value? If I convert to 12 volt gauges, will the senders be compatible? I assume the turn signal device will not work with 12v: anyone know of a 12 volt replacement? And...while I'm at it...I'm at work and the truck is at home: are our gauges 2" diameter? Thought you guys might be getting bored. Thanks as usual. It's a being so dumb. Hell, while I'm on a roll, where can I get the replacement lenses for my stock lights? I hear lots of reference but I can't seem to find a source.

Try e-bay for the lenses. A 1156 should work for the large bulbs in the tail lights, Not sure on the small ones.
    The trun signals should work on 12V if it is the sold state one. Not sure about gauges. I just stay 24V then I don't have to worry about it...
    Zone holster maker

Quote Originally Posted by bdial
    All, Has anyone every published a list of 12 volt bulb numbers? Seems I saw a list somewhere but my searches come up "nada."
    The 12 VDC headlamps that I went with were called the Hella Vision Plus Part No. 70477. These headlamp assemblies fit perfectly into the M715 headlamp mounts. They're brighter than your standard 12 VDC headlamps, but they're still legal with DOT standards. They're less expensive to maintain also, as when the light burns out, you replace just the lamp module, not the whole headlamp.

By the way, you can find this information in the "M715 / M725 FAQ", located in the left hand column.

M725 folks: need 12volt bulbs for seachlight and surgical light.
    Go to the "Bulb Direct" web site (NOTE: By the way, you can find this link in the "Links (Old Version)" on this site). Tell them the military stock number of the 24 VDC bulb that you have in your searchlight and surgical light and they'll give you a 12 VDC equivalent.

General question: will the stock gauges work when I reduce power to them?
    The only gauge that will work after converting your electrical system to 12 VDC will be your oil pressure gauge as it is a mechanical gauge.

But the others? Will they just produce half value?
    No.

If I convert to 12 volt gauges, will the senders be compatible?
    No.

I assume the turn signal device will not work with 12v: anyone know of a 12 volt replacement?
    The turn signal device doesn't care what voltage goes through it. However, the turn signal solenoid does and you'll have to replace that and the turn signal bulbs in order to have a viable system. I went and replaced both my rear and front composite light assemblies with the same composite light assemblies that are found on these:

The only thing that I had to modify on my M715, to mount these, was to enlarge the hole on the rear bumper that allows the electrical harness to connect with the rear composite light assemblies.

And...while I'm at it...I'm at work and the truck is at home: are our gauges 2" diameter?
    I think that they're 2 1/16th" in diameter.

Thought you guys might be getting bored. Thanks as usual. It's a ***** being so dumb.
    Just remember to make it a point to check the exhaustive sources on this site before you post questions like these. These questions have been asked repeatedly by folks just like you and as such the answers have been archived in various links / files found in the left hand column of this site. Everyone here on the Zone is also willing to help you with your problems also if they have the time. Oh, there's no such thing as a dumb question.

Hell, while I'm on a roll, where can I get the replacement lenses for my stock lights? I hear lots of reference but I can't seem to find a source.
    I assume that your referring to your headlamps. See my first paragraph in this entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale_Rider
    where can I get the replacement lenses for my stock lights? I hear lots of reference but I can't seem to find a source.
    I assume that your referring to your headlamps. See my first paragraph in this entry.
    He may be asking about the full red or amber lenses for the turn signals. I think Saturn Surplus has the red ones (www.saturnsurplus.com). I'm not sure where to get the amber ones for the front turn signals.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by 65CJ5
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale_Rider
    where can I get the replacement lenses for my stock lights? I hear lots of reference but I can't seem to find a source.
    He may be asking about the full red or amber lenses for the turn signals. I think Saturn Surplus has the red ones (www.saturnsurplus.com). I'm not sure where to get the amber ones for the front turn signals.

Stan
    If you're not worried about remaining stock, these bolted right onto my M715 front composite light bolt holes with no modifications whatsoever:http://saturnsurplus.com/lights/hmmvamber.htm

These bolted right onto my rear bumper without any modifications to the bolt holes. I did, however, have to enlarge the hole in the bumper which allows the electrical harness to mate with the composite light assy wiring:http://saturnsurplus.com/lights/gentail.htm

The only gauge that will work after converting your electrical system to 12 VDC will be your oil pressure gauge as it is a mechanical gauge.
    I thought all the guages in the M715 were electrical. Hence being Mil Standard?
    I know my 715 was in fact I took the gagues out of my m151 and used them in the 715 for testing so that I could figure out which ones were good and or bad. Did I miss something along the way?
    Zone holster maker

Quote Originally Posted by k8icu
    I thought all the guages in the M715 were electrical. Hence being Mil Standard?
    I know my 715 was in fact I took the gagues out of my m151 and used them in the 715 for testing so that I could figure out which ones were good and or bad. Did I miss something along the way?
    My M715 stock oil pressure gauge is mechanical. It had a length of small diameter copper tubing that led to a fitting on the original 230 engine. Hence, it is a mechanical gauge. Now, wether this is "mil spec", I don't know.

I had the sender go out on mine and had to put in a replacement...its electrical in stock trim.
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

oil sender is electrical. the copper tube is an external oil line.

what do you mean by the turn signal solenoid?
    the 24 volt solid state flasher works just fine with 12 volts. so does the turn signnal lever, you only need to change the bulb in the lever, and the corresponding lights.

i would like to add a poor ground on ANY light can cause ANY number of odd light behavior. i know, because i trouble shot mine for 3 days.....

Everyone, thank you for your assistance. I was referring to the full lens "Gama-Goat" lights. I have not found just the lens on ebay or at Saturn. By the way, I used the "search" on the site before I asked my questions: did not find the answers I needed. I've never been able to get in the the archives on the old site: probably me. Thanks again.