Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock ride height

Default Stock ride height

I’ve done some searching around and can’t seem to find exactly what I’m looking for.
    I’m looking for the stock ride height from the ground to the apex of the wheel well (both front and back) or are they supposed to be the same?
    For a little background info to what brought me to this:
    I have Dana 60 SUA up front with stock HMMWV wheels and tires (37x12.5-16.5) and when I initially put them on the truck sat okay with a slight amount of rake. It also definitely was leaning towards the driver’s side by at least a ½ inch. I sorta shrugged it off like no big deal. The stock leaf springs have not seen any action in 25+ years but all the bushings have been replaced. Now after driving the truck on the wonderful roads of Massachusetts for almost 1000 miles the truck has a much more defined rake to the front and it seems to be leaning more to the driver’s side. The bump stops have definitely gotten closer to the axle so I’m not imagining this.

I do not like the look of the rake and am buying new springs to correct this. Measuring from the ground to the wheel well apex the driver’s side is about 2 inches lower than the rear and the passenger side is about 1.5 inches. My first instinct is to have springs made with 2 inches of lift over stock, but now worried that it’ll lift the truck too much because I’m measuring the ride height from tired 50 year old springs.

I don't have anything too heavy squatting it down. Just a 318ci under the hood and a bumper that only weighs 100lbs at best. Maybe I'm over thinking this but don't want to lift truck as I only have about 2 inches of clearance to get in and out of my garage. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I wish I could help you out (and ordinarily I could), but I have a camper on mine right now. I do know my truck does a mild stink bug stance unladen, which stands to reason with a spring-over front & a spring-under rear.

Does anyone know if the truck wo/w had a factory “rake” and if so how much?

Mine is parked in my garage. I will be happy measure the wheel opening height for you in the morning.
    Mine has NOS springs on it without winch.
    Dan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eightydeuce View Post
    Does anyone know if the truck wo/w had a factory “rake” and if so how much?
    I do know that mine factory ... Rain water runs to the front of the bed and drains into the storage box below.

OK,
    My truck has 1" rake, and also has about 3/4" of "Toledo lean" in it (drivers side is lower).

Thank you very much, that's exactly what needed. I will have springs made to account for that. I'm curious where "Toledo" lean comes from?

Quote Originally Posted by eightydeuce View Post
    I'm curious where "Toledo" lean comes from?
    Old jeep joke.
    All old jeeps seem to sag on the drivers side.
    Although I wouldn't think that mine would with NOS springs.

I just realized that I really didn't give you the actual ride height.
    On the right side it is 45" rear-44" front at the apex (top center) of the wheel flairs.

That makes perfect sense. Mine is 45.5 at the rear with the 37s on there. About 43.5up front on drivers side and 43.5 on passenger and 44 on drivers. Quick math says it’s squatting an inch from stock. So springs

The information is much appreciated. Thank you

So my new front springs arrived a couple days ago and I'm a bit concerned that I'm going to have a disagreement with the fabricator of the springs. I'm trying to find out the "free arch" NOS front spring pack. I was told by the fabricator that is was 4.5"s. I wanted 2 inches over than stock and we discussed (through email). I never specifically stated that I want them at 6.5"'s of free arch. Well the springs that he made have 8"s of free arch. He has not responded to my friendly email asking for some sort of explanation. My hope is that he was wrong with his email and the springs are 2"s over stock and NOS ones have 6"s of free arch

Does anyone have a set of NOS front springs that they could measure for me? Or maybe even an old set? Unfortunately they need to be out of the truck to measure and I was hoping that someone had a set laying around.

I'm really trying to avoid a back and forth dispute with this guy so I'm really hoping that the springs are ok. I have about two inches of space to get in and out of my garage and purposely did not want to lift the entire truck. I just wanted it to level and take the rake out of it.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks