Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM 6.2L Diesel question

Default New Guy to Pick on !

Ok since this is the only board on the web that has good people with good answers I'm asking this question here. Today the starter on my CUCV went kaputs. I beleive it is a 24V starter. My question is do I need to get the military starter or is this available at most auto parts stores?
    Thanks
    Zone holster maker

not sure. I'd take it to a rebuilder, try "generators" in the yellow pages. Usually much much cheaper than a new part. My dad tells me he used to rebuild starters all the time, but that was way before Checker on every other corner. Rebuild!!
    **I heart Bump_r **

Don't over either a 6.2....ever. A buddy of mine had his starter hanging from the wires after it snapped a hunk off the block and a bolt hit the floor. Ugly.
    Big Blocks RULE!

Spicer, could you speak engrish, I understood the last part but the first has me scratching my head.
    Doug
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Thank you Doug I thought I was seeing things.
    I think he means Ether

maybe he was breathing a touch of it himself

Makes sense now.

Joe, I'd lean towards rebuilding it also. Chances are that a new on would fit fine, but I remember the days where everything needed shimmed and you know the orginal fit nice.

Doug

Ether. Yes. I had to use some on the CAT this weekend. The two main batteries were low and I strapped two more the the running board and jumped them across. I drove it up through a field and plowed through a snowpile about 6' high! ...um, then slid sideways and had to work really ahrd to get it out of where it ended up. I HATE NDT's!!!
    Big Blocks RULE!

Default hey guys, hello

You running duals in the back on that one???? They sure do make a 13,000lb truck seem light in the rear. Have NOT had mine stuck yet, but the rear does tend to slide around when in the wet stuff.

And to get back to topic....

what does ether have to do w/the starter??? I'm cornfused.
    **I heart Bump_r **

I don't need either...If the starter would crank it will start just fine. The problem is I turn the key and click nada...Did some diaging this afternoon in 28 deg weather...at least the sun was out, and I'm about 95% sure the starter went belly up. After I crawled under it though it is going to be a real B to get it out. Problem is I can't see the top of it to take the wires off and the diff is directly under the starter....If I wasn't so stubborn and cheep I'd take it to the local shop and say call me when it's done...
    Zone holster maker