Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jeepcj : Chevy 427 tall block vs Caddy 472

Default jeepcj : Chevy 427 tall block vs Caddy 472

Chevy 427 tall block vs Caddy 472
    Post by jeepcj on Aug 14, 2006, 8:56am

my truck has a tires chevy tall deck. for less than the cost of the chevy rebuild I can get a 69 Caddy 472 and turbo 400 both rebuilt.

What would you guys do? Oh my exsisting trans is a 540 Allison

Default bigwheelbob :

Re: Chevy 427 tall block vs Caddy 472
    Post by bigwheelbob on Aug 14, 2006, 9:39am

Dang, 4 pages wasnt enough? LOL!! http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491581

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Aug 14, 2006, 10:00am

hahah

I'll say it again: KEEP THE 427!!! PARTS AVAILABILITY VS. COST IS BETTER

Default oilcan :

Post by oilcan on Aug 14, 2006, 10:06am

Lots of answers over there. I'm sure you'll get a few here too, but ultimately, you'll be the one to make the decision.

From what I've seen so far... Flip a coin.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Aug 14, 2006, 10:44am

I vote for the Chevy. Mainly for the above mentioned parts availablity. Take the distributor cap for instance. Just about every parts store in the US will have a Chevy V8 points cap on the shelf. Heck, most 7elevens probably do too. The Caddy one is going to be harder to find and cost a lot more. Same with a fuel pump. Or water pump or thermostat. Those are just the simple things.

It is all up to you, but keeping it simple really is a virtue.

Default bigwheelbob :

Post by bigwheelbob on Aug 14, 2006, 12:30pm

I have had both engines in various trucks over the years, and they both do the job just fine. Great pulling at low rpm's. And if I aint mistaken chev, and cad use the same dist. caps. Parts for the cad are not a issue.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Aug 14, 2006, 2:56pm

Bob, I agree about both engines being great below 3500 rpm. You might be right about the points cap. I was thinking of the HEI cap that cost $50.00 for the Caddy version without the rotor.

But, even though I used a bad example, the theory is still valid. 10 years from now, you will have spent a lot less on the Chevy engine just maintaining it. Having to do a rebuild will really kill you on the Caddy as far as prices go. I know, several places specialize in the big Caddy engines. But, it is like the 455 Buick which I think is just about the best all around big block ever built when it comes to low end torque. You can get the parts, but you will have to sell your truck to afford them.

I am sorry I messed up your thread about which engine to chose by seeming to argue with others. The choice is yours and you asked us our thoughts. Now you have mine. Build it so when you are done you won't think back and say "I should have done...."

Default raven :

Post by raven on Aug 14, 2006, 3:41pm

Which engine you go with is a wash. They're both going to provide you with lots of thump. But you get the rebuilt TH400 with the 472, and at the same price that the rebuild of the 427 would cost you?

DUH! Buy the Caddy/TH400, throw them in and run it until it blows up (which should be a long time from now if taken care of). Maintenace will cost no more for the Caddy than it will for the 427, no matter what anyone says. Plugs/cap/rotor/wires/thermostat/filter, fluids........ They cost what they cost. No appreciable difference from one to the other.

And keep the 427. If you have the truck long enough the 472 will EVENTUALLY die. At this point, the Caddy definitely will cost you more to rebuild. Rebuild the 427, sell the rebuildable Caddy to recoup some of the cost, and.........

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Aug 14, 2006, 10:51pm

caddy,s are very well made engines . you,ll be very happy and you,ll pull trees over with all the torque.

Default bigwheelbob :

Post by bigwheelbob on Aug 15, 2006, 12:55am

By the way, the trans that will come out of the same car the 472 did will be to long for the m715, you will need the short shaft 400.