Thread: Color of Engine??

Default Color of Engine??

Hey guys,
    Finally in the last run of the engine rebuilt. Block has been bored to 40 oversize and progress keeps me happy and away from all my receipts file and a calculator (not worth looking...). Anyway I am trying to find out which is the color of the engine on a 68 with the big underhood cleaner. Trying to keep the lady as loyal as possible to the real deal.

Thanks for this great site...

Luis

Wink

This is an area of great debate.... But "most" of the engines from factory are black and then if they went though a depot rebuild they got painted green. My engine was green with no sign of black except for the starter, distributor and brackets, but it was rebuilt at RRAD in 1973. A rebuild "should have" a tag on the passenger side of the block. I just got back from Vintage Power Wagons where we opened 3 crates with used engine parts in them, out of the entire mess not one green part... ( The views in this posting are strictly the view point of one person that could possibly be full of s@&$)

The engine in my truck is black with black starter and alt. The valve cover is bare aluminum.

I also have a spare engine rebuilt at RRAD, it is green, with green valve cover.

Scott

Form what I understand the engines were originally black, oil pan to valve cover.

RM
    If it ain't broke, it will be.

the engine in my truck is/was black, the box of spare parts that the fire dept saved from the spare truck is also black, including a flaking black valve cover, I agree, they were probably delivered black. rebuilds are probably green (OD)

Duane

Great info, black it is then.

Happy new year to all,
    L