Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Camper Special

Looking good! Does it look like the engine would fit without SOA in the front?

Not a chance, the axle is what's holding up the crossmember right now

Default e.v.

so do the cucv axle spring perches line up with the factory front springs? i'm using a 91 dodge D60 dually front, and dually dodge D70 rear, and praying the 14 bolt hubs i have will swap on to the dodge D70-like JP magazine did with a GM D70 and 14 bolt. Hell, its still a D70. I'm hoping just the spring perches/brakes/shock & diff location is the only difference. looks like bearings/seals/carrier/gears are the same. pray for me please? lol. the 60 dually front wms-wms looks good with H1 wheels. spring perches are gonna suck-36 1/2 center to center on the 725 springs. 34 1/2 on the dodge-and the passenger side perch is cast into the axle-rrrrrr.
    BTW-the dodge D60 would have worked, you just needed dually front hub spacers. get high steer arms for a D60-i used "Parts Mike" pieces. nice stuff.
    another place for rear disc stuff and other good parts- DIY4x or DIY4x4 .com.
    ALSO-for those of us building an expedition vehicle with a diesel engine- Wallas stoves from Scan Marine Usa-they make a 2 burner, diesel powered cook top stove that can be used as a heater!!!!! it uses also no electricity, and only like 10 oz of fuel in 12 hours. Cost around $2,000-but u get heat and a stove! DO NOT TELL THEM IT IS FOR A TRUCK-your building a BOAT!!
    my 725 has a 4bt, th475, soon-D60/D70-14bolt, H1 wheels/37 BFG's
    Last edited by loosewrenchcowboy; March 11th, 2010 at 12:29 AM. Reason: changed of plans

Great post, thanks for responding lwc, I noticed a reply on 4btswaps you made on a thread and I asked you about your project but glad you're on the zone'.

Progress as been hampered by my rental unit, tenant moved out and I'm adding a new furnace, bathroom and kitchen.

Anyway on to your points.
    so do the cucv axle spring perches line up with the factory front springs?
    No, as far as I know the only bolt in axle to the stock front spring perches is the ford front 60, I think it's a sticky in the modified section. I believe the dodge and GM are the same spring perch width so either the dodge I had or the cucv has to be extended. The plan is to do something similar to what Randy did in Axle swap in "The Big Cheese"

pray for me please? lol
    You are now in my prayers as I should be in yours obviously

I really don't know about the dually axles, the problem I had with the rear of the dodge is that the center bolt to center bolt on the width of the springs outside the frame left no room for perches on the axle I had. Even if I measured wrong, I'm happy with the cucv axles. They have the gearing I need, are slightly wider and the rear has a detroit all for a few beans after selling the dodge axles. One mistake I made was that the front single wheel had a higher weight rating w/ the cummins and I could have sold it for a few hundred more (no wonder the guy was so excited) but still I got rid of em fast enough to pick up the cucv's in a couple weeks.

I've used Parts Mike before, was happy with him and the diy4x.com looks good as well.

You may have noticed somewhere in this process that I realize the daunting task of adding the marine quality components to the camper. This will most likely be a 3 phase project:
    1 running
    2 able to do short trips with chem toilet, bag shower and existing beds to sleep in
    3 plan on building the box per the floor plan pictured

When I found the stock heater in the box I thought "great, a heat source", however since it's converted to 12 volt what now? propane? diesel?It's crazy to think that the cost of a stove is as much as I'm into it so far but for the quality stuff that's what you have to do.

Do you have a build thread? pics?

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

You will have to do a little massaging to the housing to use the GM Dana 60 in the front of an M715 with the stock springs.

The 715 springs are positioned a bit narrower than the stock GM stuff.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Default perches

randy-the 715 springs are 36 1/2, center bolt to center bolt. dodge and chevy(at least the chevy d60's i've measured) are the same, at 32 1/2 c-to-c. so the 715 springs are wider. only issue with doge and chevy-the passenger side spring mount is part if the diff housing, and moving the perches 2 inches out toward the wheel is a bit tougher on passenger side as the new relocated perch position has to be partially in the new perch, and partially in the old one. PLUS-the stupid mounts are exceptionally tall compared to the standard weld on replacement perches.
    I think i got all that correct-scratching my head and re-reading it again-yeah, i think.

Default heater

panther-
    yup, i posted on there a few times, but its been a while. i got my motor in and fired it up, but thats it so far. dam 725 is so tall it won't fit through the door of my pole barn-and to cold outside, so she sits. right next to my W500 2 ton 4x4 69 dodge crew cab, and 52 GMC M135(on 16.00-20's)-all to tall. I need to get a bigger barn!!!
    that is Until today-and i'm gonna need a bull dozer to fix the ruts i made dragging it up to the driveway tonight. RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Anyway-the factory heater-i was pleasantly suprised to find mine complete and intact too.
    On steel soldiers(SS from here on out) i called a guy that used his 725 as a deer hunting camper in michigans U.P.-in the winter. he said it will run on gas, diesel, or kerosene. haven't tried it yet though.
    The 12 volt issue-ain't. another guy on SS said they make a inverter/converter-mil issue, from 12 to 24 volt that will power the factory heater. check on ebay-they run less than $100
    Also-those things are a 30,000 btu torpedo heater! they take about 1 minute to start blowing heat, but as far as i've found, its full blast or nothing. but i have seen temp controls for the 2 1/2 and 5 ton radio trucks, so i think you MIGHT be able to hook them up. and they are loud!! just like a full sizekerosene torpedo heater. hmmmmm
    As for the stove/heater-well, $2,000 is a lot. BUT-it heats and cooks, and the guy at Scan said you can run one all day on 1 deep cycle battery with no worries about draining the battery. also-fuel consumption is like 30 oz running at full blast for 24 hours(don't quote me on these numbers please)

Why wouldn't you just find a junky camper and take the heater fridge and stove and maybe toilet out of it? I bought an entire GMC RV in good shape for 900.00 and everything but the fridge worked. I could have sold the 400 V8 TH400 trans and dana 70 rear axle for close to that. sell the frame for scrap and all your parts could be free.

By the way, did any of you know that the TH400 found only in motor homes had straight cut gears that are stronger than normal TH400 gears? Since they are not helically cut, they make more noise.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post

By the way, did any of you know that the TH400 found only in motor homes had straight cut gears that are stronger than normal TH400 gears? Since they are not helically cut, they make more noise.
    That would be a TH425 then.

Oh, and loosewrench, check your measurements. I had to move the perches on the front Dana 60 inward toward the housing to make them fit the stock M715 springs.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    That would be a TH425 then.

Oh, and loosewrench, check your measurements. I had to move the perches on the front Dana 60 inward toward the housing to make them fit the stock M715 springs.
    I think you mean TH475. The TH425 was the front wheel drive version of the TH400 (Toronado, Eldorado...).