Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6BT & Rockwells

Default 6BT & Rockwells

Has anyone here ever installed a 6BT Cummins and Rockwell axels under a M715?
    Will stock springs be enough with the weight of the motor or will it need heaver springs?
    Will the oil pan clear the big chunk on top of the Rockwell axle?

Lot more questions to follow.

The oil pan clearance will be the bigger problem.
    I know I barely cleared the oil pan on my AMC engine and rockwells. SOA with stock springs and 2 leaves removed.

The 6BT pan has plenty of minimal clearance space to clear the chunk, but I am not sure how you will have to place the motor to clearance the sump portion of the pan.

Stock springs will probably feel soft with the 6bt weighing over 1k lbs. No experience on that part though. Just a guess.

There was a member 6 or 7 years ago that did the 12valve cummins swap. His name was Rickey Meeks if I remember right. He used common off the shelf parts for his conversion. He wanted to be able to buy parts and not have to make them for replacements. It was a very nice install. Now for the rocks, I think he was using newer 60's so this might not be much help. If he is still around, you might be able to get a few picts of the motor install.

I think you'll have a length problem with the 6BT. That is a long motor and I believe a firewall modification will be in order. I know the 4BT in M37s requires stiffer springs....so I would think you will need to beef up the springs too. I have no clue on the rocks as far as clearance.
    Zone holster maker

You have enough length for a 6bt without any cutting. Granted you can not run a mechanical fan but you have enough room. Just a reminder, some people actually clock the motor a few degrees to distance the oil pan from the chunk. But in the case of that big old nasty rockwell chunk it may not help. You will have no reason to beef up the springs. It may make for alittle smoother ride but no reason to and any springs.

Also, my 96 6bt fully dressed on a very heavy duty pallet and also had 3 sections of 4x4's on it to support the pan and bellhousing weighed in at 1035lbs on a scale. I have heard that a BBC can weigh in around 650lbs with all iron parts and another few hundred pounds if you add a PTO winch. So basically putting a cummins it would be the equivilant of putting a BBC and a PTO set-up on the front of your truck. I guess that makes since. To me it did...

Anyone heard if anyone has run both a 6bt and a PTO?

No but i am..When i am home from Iraq on R&R in December i will be able to tell you what happens..

I have not tried to stuff it in the hole yet, but by my measurements, a 6BT non-intercooled, you can even keep the fan if the radiator is mounted right. I am going to try to plumb in an aftermarket intercooler to get my EGT's under control, . .I have lots of power with my upgraded pump and turbo, but have to back off due to heat at the turbo. I am also planning a PTO on mine, but a smaller, lighter winch than the Braden,., . .So I figure I will be ok on the stock springs with a spring-over on the front and then moving the perches on the rear. . .I am in kinda the same boat as gun512, . .wait and see how it goes with the "shoe-horn". ..

Yeah i will have pics up in December time frame. I am going to use the stock braden run off of the 3053. I am also going to shoe horn a stock 1st Gen intercooler in front of the radiator. I will have to take out the radiator make mounts and cut and inlet and outlet hole in the back of the grill to plumb in the intercooler. I am throwing around the ideal of a hood stack. I don't know if it will look out of place or BadA$$. I was going to high temp powdercoat it flat black and use about a 6" stack. SHould help EGT's a bit with that low exhaust restriction. Otherwise i will have to run a remote set-up or a water injection kit. I just want to smoke camaro's, mustang's, and ricers with a M715 sitting on 41" Xl's. Would be awesome!!