Thread: Website with a ton of parts for the tornado 230 engine

Since I am having such trouble with my motor I have been doing some pokin around on the net . I have seen a bunch of websites with Tornado 230 parts and the prices are scaring me! Well I just came upon this site www.rockauto.com The prices seem very reasonable and they have quite a bit for this elusive engine. If you havent seen this site check it out and let me know if I is as good as it seems.

2. Default

What vehicle do you search under? (I used a 1965 Gladiator) I bought alot of Top-End(Valve Train) parts from ABLinn for very reasonable prices. When I bought my truck it came with an extra head with good valves, and I plan to replace all the other parts to have a New Head,among other things. I have also purchased parts from AUTOZONE and NAPA at fair prices. That $100 head gasket Doug mentioned scares me though!
    1969 M715

They list under 67 a 230 engine...with a hydraulic cam???
    Looks like you can use the 64 data though...looking up the 64 Gladiator appears right...pretty much gaskets and a few other items....
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I have been picking up some engine parts from ablinn and yes he is very reasonable. But I still like the idea that I can find parts elswhere. Hey brute is there a place in the forum that tells the differance between the civvy and the mil. engine???? I know you told me the timing cover is different and obviously the dis. is different but what about the crank,pistons,valves,ect.???

Well Im not sure if there is a run down on this board.....but here goes.....
    The civilian engine has a metal plate between the timing cover and the block/head. At the bottom of the plate, the lower corners basically grow outward and are the mounting points for the motor mounts. This makes the motor mounts way ahead of where they are on the mil engine...side of block....due to this the blocks do not interchange unless you wanna cut the stock frame horns off and put new ones ahead of the stock ones...
    Because of this part of the design, the timing cover and water pump are very different. The head is basically the same with the exception of the bolt pattern at the front of the head on top....if you look at the mil head, there are 2 holes at the top for the timing cover to bolt to it....the civvy one doesnt have the passenger side hole. The civvy heads came in 7.5 and 8.5 compression ratio but the difference must be in the volume of the chamber in the head....because we know that the:
    pistons, head gaskets, valves, and timing chains are all the same and it is an OHC engine, so it must be chamber volume...that means if you drill out the hole in the head from a civvy motor with 8.5 compression, you can pick up some power...if you plan to keep the 230....
    The rocker gear, cam, cam deck, valve cover, valve cover gasket, oil pump, oil pump drive, exhaust manifold, rings, valve seals, valve guides are all interchangeable.
    The intakes come in 1 and 2 barrel forms on civvy motors...both will interchange, though the temp sending unit on the civvy motor is on the head and on the mil, in the intake, so you have adapt....easy to do, there is a hole in the intake for a hose to the water pump....just screw a bushing in that hole and screw a t fitting to the bushing....one side for the temp sending unit, one side for the hose....easy....
    The cranks....I know they dont directly interchange....but the civvy one may be made to work.....there are at least 2 areas that concern me and I wonder if there are more....
    I know that the pilot bushings in both motors have the same inside diameter....but the outside diameters are different....the civvy engine uses a 13/16ths inch outside diameter, while the mil engines is 3/4 inch...the inside is 5/8ths inch...the hole could be welded up and drilled to fit the mil bushing...would have to reharden the crank....EXPENSIVE....or since I couldnt find one, a brass bushing of the proper size may need to be made for the civvy crank....at the front of the mil crank, there is a water excluder seal that the civvy unit does not have....dont know if there is special machining on the crank for this or not....would be another difference and one that could make or break the swap due to the fact that machining or welding then machining would require the EXPENSIVE heat treatment....
    Bellhousings, clutches, flywheels, these interchange....as do oil pans.
    Distributors can interchange, but you gotta go 12 volt, do a little wiring and change the oil, and fuel pumps interchange, but the civvy engine came with 2 types....one had the vacuum pump on top of the fuel pump, like the mil one does....and one only had the fuel pump....if you convert to electric wipers OR have a seperate vacuum pump on the motor, you can interchange the fuel only one.
    Rear main seals....well it appears that there are 2 types....some civvy engines use the type the military engine uses and some use another....might be early and late production, dont know but there are 2...big difference....ours is 2 to 3 times wider than the other type....real easy to tell right away upon seeing it....

I have both here....if I have missed something you are wondering about....give a ell and I'll check it out best I can....
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!