Thread: No idle on the M715

Default No idle on the M715

Need a suggestion on what to check next. Last night I went to pull the M715 out to get it ready for a show this Wednesday and all of a sudden it will not idle. It ran perfect on Friday when we went for a an evening cruise. Mine is a 67’ and is all original, still has the 24v electrical system and stock everything under the hood. It starts and runs fine as long as you give it gas, but the second you let off it dies. I’ve checked the air filter and housing and there is no restrictions, check at the fuel filter and have good flow on both sides, and have even pulled all the plugs to check for a fouled plug. All 6 plugs were a nice light brown color with no oil or fuel buildup. So since I was running out of time last night to work on it, that leaves me with checking out the carb tonight when I get home unless anyone has any other suggestions to try. So if you have had a similar problem, let me know what your solution was.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Carb. partially plugged idle circuit and likely just needs to be cleaned.

Coil issues can also cause unusual problems, although the coil problems are mostly no-start or idles but won't run when hot. And coil problems usually start the day after a nice drive because someone left the ignition turned on.

Vacuum leak?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    1968 M-715 w/1100R16s on Stockton wheels, H3 headlights, 2bbl upgrade...

Actually ended up being something in the idle circuit. After blowing it out with carb cleaner and reassembling it to the factory setting it runs fine now. Looks like it may have been a small chunk of gasket maker that someone used to seal the float bowl somewhere in its life.
    Dave

That'll do it.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    1968 M-715 w/1100R16s on Stockton wheels, H3 headlights, 2bbl upgrade...

Looks like it may have been a small chunk of gasket maker that someone used to seal the float bowl somewhere in its life.
    gosh, who would'a done that.

Glad you found the problem.

Keep those great pictures coming

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    gosh, who would'a done that.
    More than likely the fire dept. that the engine came from. It ran perfect once I put it in the truck so I never bothered to rebuild the carb. Little sliver of it must have finally broke away and got stuck in the circuit. I cleaned all of it off the carb and found a gasket in my spare parts group to fix it proper.
    Dave