Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The 396-6.2 swap project

It fired right up this morning with 2 seconds of 24 volts to the 12 volt glow plugs. We let it run for a few minutes and then I showed a student how to use the camera. Here is the engine running smoke free and sounding good:

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edi...id=eK7l7ejjGu0

Sorry about the back ground noise but the other classes in the building were complaining about the diesel smell and I had to turn on some fans.

The video was taken with the number 3 glow plug un threaded, but stuck in the bore. I ended up clamping a vise grip to the plug and used a slide hammer with a hook on the end attached to the vice grip. A few gentle whacks and it came on out.

I have one more class that will want to hear it run. Then we will start to strip off the exhaust manifolds, intake, HMMWV pulleys, pull the pan, new rear main seal, new pan gasket, new front seal, new balancer, clean everything, paint it all black, new valve cover silicone, swap IP covers and then it all back together again.

I will only have to buy a flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and exhaust stuff. Plus, new power steering hoses, make new fuel supply and return lines, rig up a water seperator, oil cooler and lines and probably about 15 other things before the truck will be ready to drive.

The student that broke the front wheel cylinder line is going to learn how to make a new one this afternoon as well. That should finish the front brake redo. Then on to whatever we find in the rears.

Forgot about the wiring! Make the truck a 12/24 vehicle. Should be all done Friday. I just don't know which Friday.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Not sure if it's just me but the link doesn't work for me. It brings me to a login screen for youtube. When I sign in it brings me to my account. I tried copying the link and pasting it in notepad to preview what the link is actually doing.

When I paste id=eK7l7ejjGu0 into the search I don't get your video either.

Is it just me?

Hmm, maybe this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK7l7ejjGu0

We got the brake line made and that side all hooked up again. We also started trying to get that hydraulic fan clutch off. It doesn't want to though. Any suggestions?

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

I heard engine sounds but I couldn't see anything there was to much glare off your noggin
    Chris

Randy,
    I didn't mean to ignore your electric fuel pump comment. I agree with everything you wrote. I already have an electric on the M715. Along with a fuel psi gauge. However, I don't on the pair of M1009's and the Blue bomber. I wanted to see what really is involved with going from a dry system to a running engine.

This starter was basically free if you figure what I paid for the other engine and what else I got with it. I was hoping for a good one, but it turned kind of slow the first time I tried it. If it wasn't going into a manual truck, it would be rebuilt. I still might rebuild it just because before the M715 gets put back in service. In other words, besides trying to keep the field on the case from melting, nothing was hurt that wasn't going to be replaced later on.

I now think it is not something that can be done on the side of the road in a stock truck if the tank runs dry. At least not without a battery charge and at least on hour of time to let the starter cool off between cranking the fuel back to the IP and through the lines.

However, I have a hand pump primer base for the water separator/filter on both M1009 trucks. I might run one of them dry and see if the primer can do the same job without killing the starting system. Otherwise I need to add electric pumps to all of the trucks.

Just a side note. GM went to electric only pumps as far back as 1988. I don't know about 1987 when they changed body styles though.

Chris, I prefer to wear a cap when working on stuff just to keep my bald head from getting cut. However, we are trying to teach our students the basics of good manners. Which includes not wearing head gear inside. So, unless I am under the blue lift in the back ground with the white Trail Blazer on it. I don't wear one in the building. That stupid lift has left more scars on my head than anything else in my life. Wear sun glasses next time you watch and it won't bother you.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    We also started trying to get that hydraulic fan clutch off. It doesn't want to though. Any suggestions?
    Reading the TM 9-2815-237-34 6.2L tech manual. Chapter 2-15

It may be necessary to apply compressed air to fan drive fitting. This disengages fan drive and allows access to socket head capscrews.

1. Position pry bar between water pump pulley (3) and crankshaft pulley (6) and apply pressure.

2. Using a 5/16-in. hex-head driver, remove four socket-head screws (1) and fan drive (2) from water pump pulley (3).

3. Using a 6-mm hex-head driver, remove four socket-head screws (5) and water pump pulley (3) from water pump (4).
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

Thanks Joe. I printed out page 2-11 and have been staring at it for hours trying to figure out what I am missing. You pointed out I am missing the last two lines from page 2-10. All good now.

Glad I could help out. I expect to see the finished product on Friday
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

Well, it is a Friday. But we aren't finished. I did purchase a flywheel, clutch, rear main seal and oil pan gaskets this week. Wiped out all my project money.

We also removed the intake from 6.2L. This is the dual plane intake found on the CUCV trucks. I am going to use it on the engine in the M715. Mainly because the CDR valve and hosing fits it and the 6.2C engine has no CDR stuff with it. I also think dual plane intakes provide more umph at lower rpms. That is what I need. If it will clear the hood with a filter mounted that is.

However, just to be sure and to check a few other things we started to test fit the 6.2C engine in the truck this morning. Turns out that oil filter elbow I had to install to get oil pressure is a bigger pain than I thought. Turned so the oil filter is inline with the oil pan. It hits the Spicer plate motor mount. Turned 90° to the engine and the engine won't fit in the truck. At least it won't go past the steering shaft. We pulled it back out and will drain the housing, remove the filter and try putting the engine back in this afternoon.

I also found out the Spicer plate on the passenger side won't let the starter support bracket bolt up. One of them is going to meet a grinder once the engine is sitting in place and I see what is what.

The "running when parked" 6.2L engine not only has low compression. It has gobs of rust inside the intake ports:

They are all like this. I might be needing those rings and pistons Joe.

Well, we got the 6.2 bolted to the NV4500 and sitting on the engine mounts inside the M715 today. Anybody that talks about how a 6.2 is just a converted 454 has never tried to shove a 6.2 where a big block gasser used to live.

The first thing we noticed was it was too wide to fit. We tilted it down in the back and only poked 2 holes in the fiberglass heater box:

There is tons of room at the rear middle of the engine though. A center mount turbo would be a super tight and hot fit, but more plausable than I thought before:

We also had to remove the 90° elbow for the HMMWV oil filter to make the engine fit. The steering linkage was in the way going down. Then the frame, frame horn and Spicer plate are in the way once the engine is in. I did a search on the filter number the parts store gave me when I asked for a 1985 K30 6.2 filter. Turns out it was for some 1993 engine. No wonder I had no oil psi with it on there. I have successfully made it a vertical filter mount now.

The biggest worry going in was oil pan over the axle and cooling fan to the radiator. The oil pan is fine. It has more clearance than the 1994 Chevy NV4500 bell mounted slave cylinder housing. I fixed that years ago by adding blocks to the bump stop on the passenger side, so the pan isn't a problem.

The fan clutch is. Here is a downward looking shot of the clearance I have:

Not enough to be comfortable with in my opinion. We will move the radiator up a bit once we clearance the valence some with a plasma cutter tomorrow.

I then got ambitious and decided to see if the stock cast exhaust manifolds would fit. They don't. I had to raise the engine 1/4" to get them to bolt on. We will do some selective grinding and see how that helps. I don't want to raise it much more because of drive shaft angles and hood to air filter clearance issues.

For sure, any engine swap is never cut and dried. My students are having a blast making fun of me when stuff doesn't fit though.