Thread: Axle Identification

Default Axle Identification

Wondering if anyone can find out exactly what axle from which vehicle I currently have. I have looked at the BOM on dana already, but I believe the axle I have a 77'. The numbers I pulled are:
    1 28 7 7CF
    44 8F is on the diff.

I know this is a dana 44 (tubes are smaller than a 10 bolt), it has six lugs. I want to know b/c I am trying to replace the front wheel bearings. So if no ID, best advice on the wheel bearings that I should get from, what yr, and model, chevy, Jeep, Ford etc.

Thanks,
    Dave

If you go to this page:

http://www2.dana.com/expert/wc.dll?cvsp~Debill~

you can enter your BOM number and get info...normally...

Yours come up as not in the database...

Actually went to that site already. No luck, so I went under the truck again, and cleaned more. No luck there, and then posted. Another site came close - the ranger station, they had a list of axle #, but nothing that matched.

Really just looking to get wheel bearings for now. Don't want to buy the wrong ones either.

Dave

Do you have the old ones?
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

The bearings/race will have a mfg number on them. Just take them to the parts house and they can get you a replacement.

Got the old ones, will rip into it and take the old ones to them then. Just hope they are not dust, that wheel wobbles pretty bad!
    Thanks,
    Dave

The base ring of the bearing should still be there...the backside of the races will have the numbers on them...if they are an unusual manufacturer you can still cross them...but Timken, no sweat.

Like Kwai said, get the numbers and check the auto parts stores...just about everyone should have them...hope you dont get some "what do these fit" kid at the counter...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Guys, Just want to say thanks. The short story is I found the part #, and it seemed as only the bearings came loose. Repacked and put back in, all is well, thanks for all the help!

Dave

Well that is GREAT news!! Wish they were all that easy!!

there is a 1-10 after bom to find out what ratio it is.
    axle is out of a'77 blazer or k10 p/u

John