Thread: Can't get distributor off 230

Default Can't get distributor off 230

I'm pulling parts off my old 230 to keep as spares then I'll get rid of the block. It's a Prestolite 12v distributor if memory serves. According to the manuals the stocker has a mounting bolt and adjusting bolt, remove them and pull straight out. I've tried pulling with both hands and prying with a screwdriver between adjusting plate and block and even a few rawhide hammer taps on the bottom. It's not budging. The crank shouldn't need to turn or remove the oil pump or something weird like that, should it? Anyone had similar problems or an idea what else to try? Thanks

The problem: Timing cover is aluminum and the distributor shaft, where it touches the timing cover, is steel...result is dissimilar metals corrosion...its "welded" together by corrosion.

The solution: Sometimes you can take a big pry bar or hammer and hit it and get it to turn a little each way and work it until it comes out. This works better with the military housing versus the smaller an more fragile civvy unit.
    If you dont want to hit or pry and/or you have tried to do that but it isnt working and you dont want to wreck the part trying that way:

Get a torch...I have done a couple this way...heat the area around the base of the distributor shaft where it enters the timing cover and the timing cover itself in that area. DONT get the aluminum too hot or you will wreck the timing cover...apply heat slowly and then try to turn the dist. If it doesnt turn, apply some more heat and try again...using a prybar here can help. Keep applying heat and trying to turn until it does turn and then work it out.
    One of mine, after the 3rd or 4th time I heated it for about 15-20 seconds, it turned a little bit...another heating, it turned about half way, next time it walked right out.

Oh, and no, there isnt anything else holding it in...unless something is seriously wrong inside the motor...never heard of such a thing though.

Default 2nd hear

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    The problem: Timing cover is aluminum and the distributor shaft, where it touches the timing cover, is steel...result is dissimilar metals corrosion...its "welded" together by corrosion.

The solution: Sometimes you can take a big pry bar or hammer and hit it and get it to turn a little each way and work it until it comes out. This works better with the military housing versus the smaller an more fragile civvy unit.
    If you dont want to hit or pry and/or you have tried to do that but it isnt working and you dont want to wreck the part trying that way:

Get a torch...I have done a couple this way...heat the area around the base of the distributor shaft where it enters the timing cover and the timing cover itself in that area. DONT get the aluminum too hot or you will wreck the timing cover...apply heat slowly and then try to turn the dist. If it doesnt turn, apply some more heat and try again...using a prybar here can help. Keep applying heat and trying to turn until it does turn and then work it out.
    One of mine, after the 3rd or 4th time I heated it for about 15-20 seconds, it turned a little bit...another heating, it turned about half way, next time it walked right out.

Oh, and no, there isnt anything else holding it in...unless something is seriously wrong inside the motor...never heard of such a thing though.
    Hello all, i to have same problem have taken every part off the motor but can not get the distributor to turn or get it out. I have not thought about heat. When i stared with my tear down every single cam lobs were rusted to rocker arm. I can only image how lower block looks.

That sounds like a worse case scenario motor...heat should work...just give it time.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!