Thread: fsjsuperswamper : headlights

Default fsjsuperswamper : headlights

headlights
    Post by fsjsuperswamper on Aug 24, 2006, 11:30pm

Where can a person get a new replacement headlight for a M715.

P.S. napa is the only parts house around!!!!

Default robertcowan :

Re: headlights
    Post by robertcowan on Aug 24, 2006, 11:51pm

IF YOU WANT 24 VOLT ( STOCK M715 ) I GOT ONE.
    BOB

Default fsjsuperswamper :

Post by fsjsuperswamper on Aug 25, 2006, 8:49am

the truck has been changed to 12 volt, & I would like new ones

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Aug 25, 2006, 9:54am

If you are looking for a 12V, then they are just a standard replacement part. You can use the headlight from any round-eyed FSJ, CJ, or TJ, they are all the same size (I think it's a 7").

BUUUTTTT... I highly recommend doing the Hella or IPF headlight upgrades (again, same part# as a CJ or TJ). I did them in mine and they are a million times better than a stock bulk. Essentially they are an upgraded housing that uses an H4 bulb. Once you have an H4 (same plug as normal headlight) you can get the super-duper burn-through-your-garage-door bulbs. You could probably get by with not cutting the housings, but for me it was easier to just zip out the back of the stock headlight bucket for easy access.

Here's a link to some pics:
    http://www.sjmembers.com/gallery/vie...umName=album30

Default alosix :

Post by alosix on Aug 25, 2006, 10:41am

x2 on the IPF and H4 conversion. I run those on my TJ with 65/55 bulbs and they are soo much better than the stock sealed beams.

When the 725 goes 12v, its getting those.

Jason

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Aug 25, 2006, 11:05am

FYI...I run 24 volt H4 Hellas in my M715....I posted about the conversion and specs waaay back on the old Yahoo board...October 22, 1998 to be exact...heres a quote:

I live in northern Wisconsin, where the forests and deer rule and people are in the minority. When it gets dark here the Milky Way stands out across the entire sky. That means it's dark. The stock headlights are non-halogen and even then are somewhat weaker than regular civilian headlights that are non-halogen. A call to GE, original headlight maker, found 11,000 candlepower on our lights and normal civilian headlights in non-halogen to be 13,000-15,000 cp. I, as usual, wanted more. One year at the Oshkosh Airshow, the largest civilian airshow in the world, I met a Hella dealer. I told him what I had and that I would like to get Halogens that were 24 volt and round for a 2 headlight setup. He pulled out some lights and proceeded to blind me in a second or two. The lights are great, they light up the road and both ditches on low beam but do not blind oncoming drivers as the only put light out through the bottom of the lens on low beam. This means when adjusted there is a line, quite a ways out, where your lights stop. So when your following someone, you don't shine lights in their rear view mirror until you are VERY close, but they shine as far or farther than car halogens and staying down on the road this way, Hella says, makes them like a fog/driving light. On high beam you can light up the world!!!! These babies are unreal on high, lighting reflectors at a mile and a half plus. They are also very wide on high to cover both ditches and some room beyond that. They use a seperate bulb from the housing and the bulb is available in 12 or 24 volt. I highly recommend them as primary headlights for off road as they cover the area you're in and show off the sides in case you need to turn to avoid something. To hook them up, I simply cut the wires going to the stock headlight far enough back so they could be spliced back on if needed or wanted by me or someone else. Hella sells a $5 connector that plugs on the back of the bulb and has holes for your wires to go in, where they are held by a spring loaded button. No problem to hook up and never come loose. They fit the stock hole and trim ring perfectly. They have a pretty flat lens on them so in winter, snow/ice doesn't want to stick. They also are hot, if you hold your hand in front of it a few inches away and someone turns them on, your hand will know the instant they do. They never have had ice build up, but are not so hot as to burn you. The housing and bulbs with the connectors was around $125, 2 years ago, and then you only need bulbs for about $20 instead of the whole deal again. In 12 volt the bulbs are $12 I think. The housing part number is 79562 and the 24 volt bulb is number 64196.
    Remember the prices are from 1996....
    Last edited by brute4c; December 22nd, 2009 at 03:14 PM.