Thread: wrecker : Poolmike or Oilcan or other 6.2 guys

Default wrecker : Poolmike or Oilcan or other 6.2 guys

Poolmike or Oilcan or other 6.2 guys
    Post by wrecker on Jul 24, 2006, 2:15pm

I've just made a deal with Kwai for the 6.2 out of the cuccv. This was kinda spur of the moment and I haven't researched a lot about it. The question is what exactly is run on 24v and what on 12v with the dual system? What did you guys do? Any advice on the power brake setup? Thanks for any info. Bill

Default poolmike :

Re: Poolmike or Oilcan or other 6.2 guys
    Post by poolmike on Jul 24, 2006, 3:44pm

I'm just going to run 12 volt everything like I had with my small block. I also pulled the hydroboost set up from the donor truck.

My truck is still disassembled and I probably won't get to reassemble it until fall. I'm going to drop the engine off at a local fabricator for my custom stainless headers. I still need some extra cabbage for that.

Default kwai :

Post by kwai on Jul 24, 2006, 4:31pm

I haven't messed with the diesels. Does the glow plug controller use 24V or 12V? I am pretty sure the starter is 24V. Does the CUCV have some type of voltage converter to convert 24 to 12V?

The engine Bill is getting also has 2 alternators so it can make gobs of juice.

Default snuffy :

Post by snuffy on Jul 24, 2006, 6:53pm

http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter....notes/nn10.pdf

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Jul 24, 2006, 9:57pm

CUCVs have two 12V altinators on them. They cobble the system in a way so that it supplies a 12V system for lights, fan motor, regular chebby electrics. And then runs them in serries to make 24V for the motor and military equipment like the black out lights, towning receptical for trailers etc. The motor its self use 24V for the glow plugs and the starter.

If I were to put a cucv motor into a M715 I would just go with the 24V system for the starter, glow plugs and off course the rest of the truck.

Another alternative is to remove the two altinators and replace them with one 24V military one like the one on your 203 motor. The only part you would need to hunt down would be the mounting brackets off of a HMMWV engine since it is the same motor.

Hope that helps

Default oilcan :

Post by oilcan on Jul 24, 2006, 11:08pm

My 6.2 is out of a civie 'Burb, so it was already running off 12 volts. No help there...

If you want power brakes, shoot for a hydroboost system. Lots of 1 ton Chevys have that setup. Some Lincolns do too. Probably a few others.

Default wrecker :

Post by wrecker on Jul 25, 2006, 6:35am

ALL info helps. I'm printing off the info Snuufy provided right now. As always, thanks for the response. The hydroboost was one of the extras I'm buying with the engine. Finally have a plan now. Thanks again, Bill