Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cat 3116 engine swap into blue

point taken. I do not have a money tree. This also isn't my first rodeo. Far from it. I made the decision to go with this engine with complete disregard for the transmission. I got the transmission as a freebie with the engine. I knew that it would require concessions to use it, I accepted that and moved on. If anyone has interest in this project they can email me directly--------I will post on it again after all the decisions have been made and the project is completed. That way it can be properly scrutinized. I made the mistake of thinking that people on the forum would be interested in the build from conception to completion. Sorry. Snakeater
    COWBELL, you need more of it

I am very interested in it and will follow up via emails/pm's and wish you the best with it and will help you if you need feel free to pm/email or call.

FL^

On second thought I will continue this build thread on here as long as I see fit. If you think that I am going to fast or not planning properly then by all means feel free to come here and do it yourself. Barring that, keep opinions on my work/planning skills to yourself. I will continue with the method that has served me for quite a few years now. Thanks for the advice, it wasn't needed or called for. Any other advice concerning anything other than this build can be directed to my PM box or email. To all that have added constructive criticism and help, thank you and keep it coming. Snakeater

Quote Originally Posted by snakeater View Post
    On second thought I will continue this build thread on here as long as I see fit. If you think that I am going to fast or not planning properly then by all means feel free to come here and do it yourself. Barring that, keep opinions on my work/planning skills to yourself. I will continue with the method that has served me for quite a few years now. Thanks for the advice, it wasn't needed or called for. Any other advice concerning anything other than this build can be directed to my PM box or email. To all that have added constructive criticism and help, thank you and keep it coming. Snakeater
    You mean constructive criticism that you don't find offensive. I have gone out of my way to answer every question you posted, with good honest information, but now, it is apparently worthless.

Somehow you feel that since I offered advice that you didn't specifically ask, that I am being somehow rude.

So, for the record, In the last 1-2 weeks, you have gone between a Powerstroke, a 6.2 GM, a 4BT, a 6BT(FWIW, I informed you at that time that the Allison was not an OD, so no, you don't heed advice, or you wouldn't have bought the exact same tranny a week later thinking it was) and finally a Cat3116 with an AT542. You have switched between Rockwells, Super duty axles, and I don't know what all else. That is your plan. An engine fell in your lap, so you "plan" to make it fit.

In the interest of using the Allison, which I am all for, by the way, I detailed some of the obstacles and solutions which I have encountered, again, not worth my time. Additionally, I have answered your specific questions in PM. Guess that wasn't constructive. Funny, you seemed to think that I was knowledgeable enough when you were PMing me for details

I'm sure that your skills far surpass mine, and obviously your superior knowledge of industrial/commercial components is totally beyond mine.

I sincerely wish you luck on the build. I hope that if you have any additional questions, you will swallow your pride and ask them, but I don't see that happening.

Understand just one thing, I didn't come on here to boost my ego, or put anyone down. I may have come on too strong, but the simple fact of the matter is that all I know of you is the posts you have made, and the questions you have asked. I offered good advice, in good faith, and you want to turn around like a petulant schoolgirl, well that's good with me. You are obviously smart and talented enough, that all your requests for information must have just been bids for attention rather than earnest requests for advice, so I will save my time and attention for someone who needs it.

Guys,
    Final warning...because we are all adults here...

If you have a dispute, take it off the boards and settle it in private...personal disagreements are NOT tech.

Thanks in advance.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Awwww heck Brute, just when it was gettin' good!

Another concern with this plan is that, from my limited knowledge on cat engines, the 3116 borders on rubbish - isn't that the one they put in things they wanted to sell cheaply, built to last a week past the end of the warranty period? From what I've heard, especially if you try getting useful amounts of power out of it, the life expectancy is very, very poor in on-road applications.

--Randy

I don't think so, as it is hard to find a used 3116 cat for sale
    that doesn't have 300K miles on it. They still bring a shiny penny with that many miles. The 3116 is also the engine in the m35a3 is it not? I have three diesel machanics that I trust here locally telling me it is a great engine. I do know that some cat motors were junk, apparently cat put their name on perkins engines for a while and the quality wasn't up to snuff. Snakeater

Keep the questions coming - at least they are new and interesting and not the usual "where can I buy wheels" or "who has lockers?"
    When it comes to cooling you want to set yourself up for success. Never too much radiator IMO. I didn't want to swap out the radiator support either (lazy, not cheap ) so I unbolted & turned around the pass side support and used that as a guide to trim out the sheet metal. Gets you about 4" wider in 1/2 hr. Still a lot of room in front of it for an intercooler too - routing the hoses might be a pain, but not too bad. Add a Rhino grill no one would know it's there.
    I'd go with a trans cooler in the radiator for the winter when you want to warm up the fluid quicker - I would add an aux cooler though because heat is the main killer for an auto trans.

these allison transmission are reported to be tough as nails. One tech told me not to worry about a cooler at all, but that is crazy talk. When the truck is diassembled, I plan on maximizing all the space that is there. radiator is the first problem, if there is room, an intercooler is the second. Also relocation of the batteries from the cab to the bed i think. My truck has a puny little under dash heater that needs attention at some point. I have access to a early wagoneer for parts, but I am not sure I will have room for a civi heater once the cat goes in. may have to get creative there.

I want to retain the stock look of the truck wherever possible, but I can't help thinking that a pair of 6" exhaust stacks in the bed would be very nice. Something about black smoke pouring from them under load that makes me happy on the inside. snakeater