Thread: Stock fording exhaust

Blog Entries

Default Stock fording exhaust

I have a complete stock exhaust system on my truck (repro stock muffler). When I went to install the rear fording stack I found it did not line up with the tailpipe. It was off a good 2-3 inches!!! Anyone else come across this problem?????

I can't figure how to solve this without cutting and extending the tailpipe 2-3 inches to the rear. I muist be doing something wrong because it should just bolt straight up.

Wrong muffler at some point?
    -What We Have, We Hold-

I had a stock, and I believe original, exhaust. I bought a complete NOS fording kit still in the box with the template. Mine was short about 1". So I moved the fording pipe to fix it.
    Probably a stack up of tolerances. I suspect the original pipes were not cut to high accuracy and bent on a CNC bender. Same goes for location of pipe hangers, etc. These were probably tacked into place with a 1/4" tolerance. Even how far the pipe engages into the muffler can throw you off a bit.
    Scott - East Coast Kaiser

Um, The pipe doesn't engage into the muffler. The stock muffler has flanges on both ends. If you have one with a slip joint, then it isn't stock.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Blog Entries

My is all stock w/ repro muffer. I bought it from AB when he was selling them ... it has flanges.

Probably just the length of the tail pipe and/or the muffler. Except for the fording pipe the difference doesn't really matter.

I would just have the tail pipe lengthened by the proper amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Um, The pipe doesn't engage into the muffler. The stock muffler has flanges on both ends. If you have one with a slip joint, then it isn't stock.
    Mine has flanges as well. I was speaking to the actual manufacturing of the mufflers. The flange on the muffler is welded to a tube that enters the muffler. When the guy welding up the muffler at the factory sets it up he could engage it a little more or less from one muffler to the other so you end up with two stock mufflers with slightly different lengths. They are usually welded in jig but when your talking about stuff like this tgere usually is plenty of slop. Probably only an 1/8" difference but now you have to add up all these inconsistances in bend angles and pipe hangers,etc. I guess my point being that there will be variances in each of the components and you can't gurantee that the exhaust pipe will line up dead nuts every time.
    Scott - East Coast Kaiser

could it be a M725 fording exhaust?

I bought a new exhaust system from headpipe back to the tail from Barry Yorwarth and no matter how I bolted the tail flange to the muffler flange, the tailpipe was pointing up in the air. No matter how I tried to get it to come out straight, it was a no go. I think someone welded the flange on wrong at the factory.

All I did was cut the flange on the tailpipe where it met the muffler flush at the flange. I then bolted the just the tail flange to the muffler flange and aligned the tailpipe the right way as a friend eyeballed the end of the tailpipe and tack welded it. I looked at it a few times and decided to fully weld her up and it looks great.