Thread: Timing Light

Default Timing Light

I know nothing about timing lights but need one. I have the civilian distributor so no problem with the shielded cables. Are the cheap ones, like on the e-bay link below, good enough to get the job done?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Xenon-Inductive-...1%7C240%3A1318

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Hit your local AutoZone or Advance auto parts. The cheap ones will do the same job as the expensive ones and I find they pretty much last forever as long as you don't drop them or break them outright.

One thing about the more expensive ones that is nice, but not necessary is that they have an advance feature built into them, so that you can keep the mark on the crank pulley lined up at the zero mark, but still be able to tell where the timing is at. Some also have a tach built in too which is handy.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Default Advance Feature

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    One thing about the more expensive ones that is nice, but not necessary is that they have an advance feature built into them, so that you can keep the mark on the crank pulley lined up at the zero mark, but still be able to tell where the timing is at. Some also have a tach built in too which is handy.
    Not sure I understand this but what I think this means is you set something on the light for 5 degrees advance and then adjust for "0" as the light delays the trigger by 5 degrees?

I am wondering if the inductive type would work with the shielded wires? It may not, but I have never tried it myself.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by rboltz View Post
    Not sure I understand this but what I think this means is you set something on the light for 5 degrees advance and then adjust for "0" as the light delays the trigger by 5 degrees?
    That's it.

On the back of the light, there is a dial, or with the digital ones, an up and down button.

You can set this dial to say 5 or 10 degrees and then when you adjust the distributor, your target is the zero mark. Works well on cars that don't have the degrees marked off, and for checking total advance. Just a nice little convenience.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Phoenix- the inductive wont work w/ sheilded wires, but if you take off #1 wire a regular plug wire will go right in the cap, pull off the other end an leave some wire stripped an it will shove into the plug, then u can use your timing light its easier if you have a loose 12v batt avial to power it too.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Any timing light will do...and I had a Craftsman one since I was in high school that last year went on the fritz.

I must say, last year I bought a new Eqqus one from an Ebay Seller for like $100 shipped and its awesome. It came with a blow molded case, has the advance feature, rpms, volts, dwell, etc. all in digital on the screen on the gun. Its made of a red impact resistant plastic too. Detachable leads also. This retailed for like $160 in Summit - it thes best Eqqus professional timing light made. It'll probably last me the rest of my life. Excellent quality as well...

There is an adaptor that you can use to put inline between the #1 cylinder plug wire end and the cap.