Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Locking it up

Default Locking it up

Finally bought my first one! Only problem is I had to have my pops take care of all the paperwork seeing as Im currently serving a tour in Iraq with the 82nd Airborne. Since Im not there to figure it out for myself I was wondeing if any of yall could help me out with locking the sucker up. In the Army we just lock the steering wheel up, making it unable to turn. Is that what I should do here?
    Thanks for the help

Hey Crisp, welcome aboard! My first posting back in '78 was to B co, 1/508 ABN INF. there at Bragg. Spent about a year there before moving on. I thought the 82nd was in Afganistan. Guess I need to watch the news more.
    Yes, most of the security issues were handeled by welding a chain to one of the feet of the drivers seat then looping it through the steering wheel and using a big padlock. The passenger door is the only one with a real door lock but it's not very effective with a canvas top.
    Stay safe, keep your head down and welcome aboard.

You have a lock in the passenger door?

Chain works well...so does removing the batteries...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    You have a lock in the passenger door?
    I'll second the quoted question above, as I've never seen a lock on any of the stock M715 doors. However, the notation on the soft top is accurate, as you'd likely be disappointed to find a damaged top simply because a burglar wanted to see what was in the center "box".

Since your father is handling matters for you, it may be easiest for him to purchase a lock bar from the local auto parts shop. It clamps between a foot pedal and the steering wheel. I've used one in the past on a CJ, and there is no reason it would not serve your purpose with the M715.

What they said. You can also put in a battery cut-off. Between that & the normal different military starting proceedure nobody would steal it
    The easiest and probably most secure is what the military does with the chain. Bugged the he|| out of me though so I cut mine off & just let all the neighbors know I'm a redneck with shotguns and a dim view of thievery

Comming from living in Baltimore for a number of years (and working there still) and knowing a bit about the lenghts theives will go to get a car, the chain through the steering wheel can be defeated in under a minute with a hacksaw. The thief cuts through the steeting wheel, not the chain (or "the Club").

Used to be fairly common to see cars with part of the steering wheel cut away. Now you almost never see anyone with "The Club" as anti-theft in Baltimore any more.

Hide a battery cut off and keep NOTHING of value in the car. make them tow it if they really want it. Good news is, there is no market for 40 year old trucks like ours.

Zach

Huh, well I'll be....Yes my first truck had a locking passenger door. It must have been a replacement....but it had all the correct placement of window bolt access holes and other things unique to military doors. Just had a lock pin and looping metal lock assembly inside.
    I just went out and checked my door on this truck and guess what....no lock, hmmmmm.

If the truck isn't going to be driven regularly, remove the batteries. Short of towing or pushing (unlikely), no one is going to bother it. I wouldn't bother with a disconnect.

Stock, no locks...

I have een where the drivers door had a key lock swapped in and the passenger door had te button inside to lift or lower to open or lock...fire dept mods...driver could get in with a key and then lift the passenger side button to open that door...so no button on the drivers side and no key on the passenger.

Not that is was your case, just something I have seen...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

My method of theft determent is to keep it in the garage at night. While I am out and stop somewhere I have a hidden electric fuel pump kill switch. Can't get to far with no gas getting to the carb. I have forgot to turn it on once or twice. This of course only works if you have an electric pump. If not then get a battery cut off switch and shut the batteries off and take the key with you. I have one I am going to install if I ever get around to it.