Thread: gimpyrobb : Steering issues

Default gimpyrobb : Steering issues

Steering issues
    Post by gimpyrobb on Jun 9, 2006, 8:01am

I got my steering bushing in the mail yesterday. As I was looking over how to install it, I noticed the "rag joint" where the shaft attaches to the steering box looks pretty worn. Is there a replacement part available while I have it all apart? Also what is the best way to replace the steering shaft bushing as it leaves the firewall? Thanks for any input.

Blog Entries

Default teking :

Re: Steering issues
    Post by teking on Jun 9, 2006, 8:38am

Quote:
    Also what is the best way to replace the steering shaft bushing as it leaves the firewall? Thanks for any input.

Having JUST done this all I can tell you is how I did it. And it was major easy.

1. disconnect the steering shaft lower dash brace. (2 bolts)
    2. remove firewall steering shaft plate bolts. (uh ... 6???)
    3. loosen upper and lower nuts of shaft bushing collars.
    4. pull shafts our of collars ... grab wheel and yank. one or the other will come out.
    5. To replace rag joint: disconnect the intermediate shaft at the rag joint. (2 bolts)
    6. reassemble.

question why are you replacing the whole bushing? i found all I needed was the rubber bushing boot and some grease. I posted the part number and availability for this boot on the other board. Hopefully Jon still has it. I think it was Memphis Equipment that still has a few.

Here is mine replaced with the above procedure. Notice the new boot and no intermediate shaft yet. BTW - now is a good time to replace the plastic shaft guide in the steering column tube. You can see the new white one I installed here as well.

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Jun 9, 2006, 9:16am

The white bushing is what I am replacing. In the pic you provided, your tube the bushing goes in is in much better shape than mine. So I forsee lots of sanding on the tube. Will packing the tube with some lithium grease help longevity?

Blog Entries

Default teking :

Post by teking on Jun 9, 2006, 9:25am

once you have the steering universal (what I was calling bushing) and upper collar (just above the universal) off. the iron shaft will pull out from inside the cab. EditNOT!!! has to come out the bottom .. so remove the column first.) Remove the two side screws holding the bushing in place. Rust made mine difficult to remove but it will come. I also sanded mine. As for the grease ... well there is nothing inside the metal tube but air and the horn wire. A big cavety. May help around the iron shaft and bushing.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Jun 9, 2006, 9:34am

I wish I had saved the spicergear rag joint fix...repairs it and makes it much stronger than before...maybe someone can post the basics for you so I dont screw it up...

I have never replaced that bushing...the manual gives these steps...whether thats the fastest way or not, cant say:

15-27. Steering Column Removal
    a. Remove the flexible coupling to steering shaft bolts.

Note. The upper steering shaft is separated at the U-joint coupling by loosening or removing the U-joint coupling to lower shaft clamp. Refer to figure 15-10.
    b. Disconnect the steering column wiring connector from the wiring harness underneath the instrument panel.
    c. Fold the floor mat back and loosen seven steering column toe board cover plate attaching screws.
    d. Remove toe hoard from lower column clamp by removing the two attaching bolts.
    e. Remove upper steering column clamp attaching bolts underneath instrument panel, and remove steering column with lower column clamp and gasket, upper steering column clamp, and steering shaft and flange attached.

15-28. Steering Column Disassembly
    a. After the steering column is removed from the vehicle, remove the center steering shaft from the steering column, and the shaft spacer from the flange housing.
    b. Remove the two screws attaching the turn signal switch to the column and remove switch.
    c. Disconnect horn wire contact and plate.
    d. Disconnect the terminal from the steering column harness connector.
    e. Pull the flange housing free of the column. Remove the spring washer from the flange.
    f. Remove housing.
    g. Remove upper bearing spacer.
    h. Disconnect the lower nylon bearing attaching screws, and remove the bearing.
    i. Inspect all parts for damage and wear and replace as necessary.

15-29. Steering Column Assembly
    a. Install upper bearing spacer in steering column, as shown in figure 15-10.
    b. If the column harness was removed, install the wiring in the column passage. Use a guide wire, and tape the end of the harness terminals, and guide the wire through the passage.
    c. Position the housing on the column.
    d. Install the flange by first installing the two bolts, nuts, and washers loosely in position on the flange. Then position the flange on the column aligning the heads of the bolts into the slots in the steering column. With the flange in this correct position, torque the two nuts to 45-55 inch-lb.
    e. Position the lower column nylon bearing in lower end of steering column with screws.
    f. Position and secure turn signal lever and switch.
    g. Install horn wire contact and plate.
    h. Install steering shaft and upper shaft spacer.
    i. Connect flexible coupling to steering shaft.
    j. If electrical harness was removed, replace terminals into connector in the same position as removed.

15-30. Steering Column Installation
    a. Install upper end of lower shaft to the upper U-joint coupling. The split in the upper coupling clamp must be aligned to the mark on the upper end of the lower shaft to maintain steering wheel centering with steering gear hi-point. Secure attachment by tightening the upper coupling clamp. Install lower steering shaft and lower coupling assembly connecting lower coupling to wormshaft, with the cast pointer on the coupling aligned with the mark on the wormshaft as shown in figure 15-9. Secure coupling by installing two bolts, nuts and lockwashers.
    b. Install the lower toe pan cover plate bolts.
    c. Check steering column alignment and adjustments.
    d. Connect steering column connector into electrical harness.

Here is figure 15-9 and 15-10 as referred to above:

Figure 15-9. steering shaft alignment marks
    1 Flexible coupling to steering gear shaft
    2 Lower shaft and flange to U-joint coupling

Figure 15-10. Steering column
    1 Lower bearing
    2 Outer tube assembly
    3 Gasket
    4 Support, and clamp
    5 Horn wire
    6 Housing
    7 Horn connector
    8 Steering wheel
    9 Nut
    10 Horn switch
    11 Horn button contact flange
    12 Horn switch spacer
    13 Flat washer
    14 Lock washer
    15 Screw
    16 Horn button
    17 Spring
    18 Upper bearing collar
    19 Seal
    20 Upper bearing and horn connector
    21 Spring
    22 Upper steering shaft
    23 Spring
    24 Boot
    25 Retainer
    26 Bearing
    27 Snap Ring
    28 Coupling Housing
    29 Lower Steering Shaft and Flange
    30 Nut
    31 Lockwasher
    32 Flexible Coupling
    33 Lockwasher
    34 Cap Screw
    35 Screw and Lockwasher
    Last edited by brute4c; December 16th, 2009 at 10:37 PM.