Thread: Is the 230 Derived from the Continental Flathead?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Is the 230 Derived from the Continental Flathead?

Is the 230 OHC just a Continental flathead six with a different cylinder head? Someone on another forum I'm on posted this idea up as a justification for condemning it, and I'd like to be armed with some facts before I tell 'em they're full of it.

My hunch is no, but that's all it is: a hunch.

I think no. No common parts, supposedly fresh sheet design for the Tornado and the overhead cam makes just about everything except 6 cylinders in a line different about the engines.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I think the main bearing count is different as well. That is not an easy thing to change.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

No.

The Hurricane engine that came before the Tornado was based on continental design.

However, the Tornado block, heads, etc. were new designs.

Here is a good article about the tornado's development.
    https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/0...aight-six.html

Absolutely concur...the 230 was a new from scratch engine.

The only thing these 2 share is a common bolt pattern at the bellhousing due to them needing to bolt to the same transmissions...the 226 flathead WILL bolt to a tans that a 230 bolts to directly. That is the only engine swap one can do in an M715 without adapters or changes at the bellhousing...though I dont know if motor mounts work...and if they do, I would bet the civilian 230 and the 226 would be the 2 that match up...the military 230 has different mounts and would bet those arent close.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Thanks everyone. I have a problem with people confidently (even arrogantly) dispensing misinformation & I like to remedy that when I can by providing facts.

A great policy...having facts on file will serve you well in this world!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    A great policy...having facts on file will serve you well in this world!
    That's what I was taught & it's worked well so far.