Thread: wheeel cylinder spring removal

Default wheeel cylinder spring removal

i found the driver side wheel cylinder puking fluid today. I pulled the wheel and hub and see the problem. one end of the cylinder is leaking. I have to rebuild/replace it but am unsure of how to remove the return springs. the manual says use a spring removal tool. I have never heard of or seen one. anybody know what their talking about?

Found out right tool but now the wheel cylinder is toast. Looks like it got water inside. the bore is covered with rust. so I have to decide whether to replace with NOS or do a conversion.

If one is bad, the others are on the way.

You can get M715 wheel cylinders from new star that are new, not NOS.

I changed mine out a few years back. Not hard. Got all new springs, pads and piston from Boyce equipment. Brakes worked good after that!

https://www.boyceequipment.com/m37--m715-parts

Quote Originally Posted by jhartings View Post
    I changed mine out a few years back. Not hard. Got all new springs, pads and piston from Boyce equipment. Brakes worked good after that!

https://www.boyceequipment.com/m37--m715-parts
    yeah, that's where I got my starter switch. I decided to go with NOS. boyce only had one of for each side, but erik's surplus had two of each for the best price I could find. I'm going to do the leaking one first and see how I do. if that goes well (I'm not a mechanic by any stretch) I will probably do the other three as well. if not, I'll wait until I have to do them.

got the new WC in with only some cursing. bleeding went well. I am going to wait on the others. now I need to move on to the engine...

If I remember correctly, the back ones have very little room to work with. So, cursing may return.

But seriously, you are doing the correct thing. It has been several years since I did mine. I need to do them again as preventative maintenance.