Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color And Markings Opinions, Please!

Default Color And Markings Opinions, Please!

I want to eventually paint my truck. I have had it now for over 7 years and what I do is to recondition a piece before it becomes a part of the truck. For instance, I have new window glass, door rubber gasket and tracks for the doors. I intend to take the door off, rebuild it and then put it back on painted. I don't have the facilities (nor the ambition) to do a museum quality restoration the way many of you guys do. I stand in awe at some of the work I have seen here.

Please remember that I drove these trucks in 1968-69-70. I fell in love with the truck and never dreamed that I would own one. I am a 100% stock guy to the point that I even took off the power steering that was installed on the truck. So, I will place some pictures below of the progress and here is the question:

Should I paint the markings as they were in the USA, white numbers, star, yellow bridge plate etc. or subdued as they were in Europe? I really like both.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is a series of progress pictures with my truck. When I got it, it had been literally 40 years since I had seen one. I thought, "Great, it has a winch". But alas, what a mess! It was a welded on M35 winch! So, lots of grinding of welds and I was able to get it all off and buy the parts. My winch is still on the bench being cleaned and new seals installed. I have a second winch on it now, just to fill the hole in the front bumper! It had a hard top, roll bar and rub bars on the frame.

BTW, notice that someone trimmed the front edges of my fenders? Not happy. I guess I could fabricate some steel and reattach it...
    Last edited by Don Cavey; January 21st, 2018 at 09:52 AM.

OK, here is what I was trying to do. Some progress pictures.

First one is the truck on the trailer after I had done extensive grinding to undo what had been done to my truck.

The second picture is after I had finally gotten the proper parts for the LU-4 winch in place.
    Last edited by Don Cavey; January 21st, 2018 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    Should I paint the markings as they were in the USA, white numbers, star, yellow bridge plate etc. or subdued as they were in Europe? I really like both.
    Don, FWIW, the way these questions get answered for me is listening to what speaks to me, usually because of a fond past experience. OD M37's, egg salad two-tone '66 Ford 3/4-ton PU's, orange Kawasaki Z1's all trigger good memories, so I think the three examples above SHOULD wear these paint schemes.

Go with your gut is what I'm trying to say, and keep posting the pix.

I'm partial to the standard white markings, just because that is what everyone expects the trucks to look like. But agree that it's your choice to mark it either way, whichever one you have the strongest feeling for, go for it.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Do the left side of the truck in one variation, and the right in another

Seriously, your the only Vet that I know of who has driven both variations in the service.

I think that you should recreate the truck that you drove in Europe, including the white letters that you painted on the tires back in the day.

I did mine USMC with the yellow stickers. When my engine broke, the truck sat outside in the sun for almost a year. The hood stickers bubbled off. It was one of those “fix it later” things.

The first show I went to I was amazed at how many comments I got from people complimenting the subdued hood numbers. Basically, the fresher paint that had been under the stickers. I left it that way.

Your truck, do as you wish. Just sharing my experience.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Truthfully, my first impression, years ago was to go with the European subdued markings. Fast forward a few years, I was looking at that poor truck in Blanding, UT sitting by the lake (with the bent right front bumper ) and I liked the white star and white numbers. I have a NOS Bridge Plate installed with the subdued numbers and have a yellow one that is used and restorable. European markings are easier to do, less stuff, no black star etc.

I dunno.

I really do appreciate your comments and hope that you will come forward and tell me how you really feel.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    Do the left side of the truck in one variation, and the right in another

Seriously, your the only Vet that I know of who has driven both variations in the service.

I think that you should recreate the truck that you drove in Europe, including the white letters that you painted on the tires back in the day.
    I agree with Dan. No question in my mind. The European version looks classier. That truck is my reference vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Vin View Post
    I agree with Dan. No question in my mind. The European version looks classier. That truck is my reference vehicle.
    Not only classy, but I can tell that you had a close affection for that truck.

Plus the photo documentation that you have of it.

It would be cool to have a Military Vehicle "know it all" come along one day at a show, and tell you that army trucks never had white letters on the tires.

You could whip out your vintage photographs, and prove him wrong.