Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Brake Shoes

Quote Originally Posted by wolf.dose View Post
    Without reading me through all the replies: the M715 series has no long and no short lining on the brake shoes, for it is a duo-servo brake. The original thickness is 1/4 inch. If you get your brake shoes relined, ask for 7 mm thickness. This will equalise the wear of the brake drums.
    33 years with a M715 and 98000 miles.
    greetings
    Wolf
    Wolf, I have two sets of shoes. One set has primary and secondary shoes; the others are the same size. I installed the primary/secondary set on the front and the set that is the same size on the rear axle. I guess it depends on where you get them relined.

Default Nos

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    Wolf, I have two sets of shoes. One set has primary and secondary shoes;
    I bought NOS shoes and they are like Don says. I also have NOS linings on the shelf and they are different lengths also.

Does it matter much? Don't know.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Quote Originally Posted by rboltz View Post
    I bought NOS shoes and they are like Don says. I also have NOS linings on the shelf and they are different lengths also.

Does it matter much? Don't know.
    I know that for decades working on drum brakes, the primary or short shoe went towards the front of the vehicle. Not sure of the engineering. But my other shoes are of the same length. Since the front brakes do the most work, I put the primary/secondary shoes on the front. Believe me, my truck will stop very quickly with my single master cylicnder and standard (not power) brakes.

Just my experience, not a recommendation ...

If you look in the online maintenance manuals, the brake section tells the long short part...so does the Quirks manual...

GIVE ‘EM A BREAK
    Brake shoes on your 5-quarter are different from what you’ll find on other tactical wheeled vehicles — the front, or primary, shoe in each wheel has a shorter lining than’s on the rear shoe. Make sure you install ‘em that way— and they’ll give you a brake.
    From here:
    http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?pg=quirks
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Hallo together,
    when I first time rebuilded my M715, the lenght of the brake shoe lining was front and rear the same. Technically this makes sence, for it is a duo-servo brake, which forward and reverse supplies the same brake force with the same brake pressure. The only problem with this brake designe is the variation of the friction factor of the brake linings. Therefore it is very difficult, close to impossibel, to set the brake forces on the brake roller test bench to the same braking forces.
    When you get your brake shoes relined, always install per axle a new set. Else your problems with brake drag will never stop.
    33 years with a M715 registered.
    greetings
    Wolf

Hallo together,
    when I first time rebuilded my M715, the lenght of the brake shoe lining was front and rear the same. Technically this makes sence, for it is a duo-servo brake, which forward and reverse supplies the same brake force with the same brake pressure. The only problem with this brake designe is the variation of the friction factor of the brake linings. Therefore it is very difficult, close to impossibel, to set the brake forces on the brake roller test bench to the same braking forces.
    When you get your brake shoes relined, always install per axle a new set. Else your problems with brake drag will never stop.
    May be the brake shoes you have installed are fron a Gladiator truck. The so called simplex Brakes have differnent length of the brake shoe lining to avoid overbraking of the rear axle. To avoid his problem I installed 15/16 rear brake slave cylinders. Since then I have a real good stopping power.
    33 years with a M715 registered.
    greetings
    Wolf
    Last edited by wolf.dose; November 5th, 2015 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    There is a way to adapt a civilian shoe....this is a repost from WetCJ:
    What was the brake shoe companies name I looked at Raybestos with the Number #60 nothig came up..

Using the TS60 NAPA shoe info above I found this...

Brand:RAYLOC
    Part Number(s):TS60

Try that and let us know if it works...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Found this as well:
    RAYLOC TS60
    RAYBESTOS 60PG
    CARQUEST BS273
    AutoZone 60PG

Make Model Year Engine
    DODGE D200 PICKUP 58-57 All
    DODGE D300 PICKUP 59-57 All
    DODGE D300 PICKUP 71-68 All
    DODGE D300 SERIES 67-60 All
    DODGE P300 71-61 All
    DODGE P300 SERIES 1959 All
    DODGE P300 VAN 1961 All
    DODGE W200 PICKUP 59-57 All
    DODGE W200 SERIES 1960 All
    DODGE W300 PICKUP 59-57 All
    DODGE W300 SERIES 64-60 All
    FORD F-350 PICKUP 66-53 All
    FORD P-350 66-56 All

Hope that helps...

My NAPA comes up with nothing for a TS60, trying the TS320 also mentioned today. Chevy P30 van cross. Mikel just gave me the skinny on a relining shop that is pretty close (in Portland CT) too...

Maybe I missed it, but did anyone give an application for the #451 autozone shoes?
    Is that real money?