Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Axles that can be swapped in place of the stock axles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Axles that can be swapped in place of the stock axles

If you have been paying attention JP recently upgraded the axles under their project M715. They used a '85-'96 Ford dual rear wheel highpinion D-60 front axle and it is a direct spring-over bolt in for our trucks. Measuring at 77" + or - it works well with surplus Humvee wheels on M trucks. They also used a D-70 rear from a Chebby dually (not cab and chassis) truck that measures 73" wide.

The problem with this rear is that you still have to move the spring perches. I have found a better solution. A Chebby G30-G.M.C.G3500 van with dual rear wheels features a 73 1/2" wide D-70 and more importantly SHARES THE EXACT SPRING PERCH WIDTH AS OUR TRUCKS!!!!! It is a bolt in and as an added benefit is wide enough to allow use of the chevy drums with their parking brake system.
    Put one under my truck this afternoon and reused all the van stuff like u-bolts and anchor plates. One shock mount must be moved as the van shocks are staggered(one in front of the axle and one behind) and the factory jeep rear brake line needs to be lengthened because the van flex hose is on the passenger side. Simple swap.

Jp used 14bolt GM hubs to widen their rear out to match the front axle. This works great if you want to run discs on the rear, however the rear disc parking brakes sucked when new and installed on a passenger car. I doubt they would hold a Kaiser with big tires. I plan to leave my truck drum rear and run 1 1/2" spacers to get my width right.

Awesome info! This should be put in a sticky.

One thing, the ford front is a driver drop axle which means you will have to replace the stock np200 transfer case with the ford style divorced mount np205.

Anyone know of a bolt-in front axle that's as Plug-N-Play as the rear Swampthang posted about? And preferably with the same bolt pattern. If so, let's add it to this Sticky! Thanks, ST!
    -- Tim Taylor

i would think that any ford high pinion 60 from those era of trucks would bolt in if you had a spring over done. I will be finding out soon here as i have my 89 f350 that i will be using for the running gear etc.

Anyone know if the late 70's ford dana 70 out of the f350 trucks will have the same spring mounting setup as the stock stuff? What other axles will? Trying to find one that will bolt in with my spring over setup..
    Last edited by res0wc18; July 7th, 2009 at 07:48 PM.

A Dana60 chevy axle shares the same bolt pattern as the van gmc3500 rear axle hes talking about. It also has a passenger side drop so no need to change stock transfer case. I installed a high steer kit so I'm not sure if there is any other issues that arise in using it (IE steering)

I went with the 14 bolt on the rear and switched to discs as the cost to rebuild those drums was higher than the kit and parts to switch to discs. That and I couldnt find a van axle anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    Anyone know of a bolt-in front axle that's as Plug-N-Play as the rear Swampthang posted about? And preferably with the same bolt pattern. If so, let's add it to this Sticky! Thanks, ST!
    Yep, Dana 70 from a CJ10A airplane tug. At 80" WMS/WMS you won't have to worry about going to disc brakes and they are stock 4.88.

Wink CJ10a axle

Quote Originally Posted by Grantshire View Post
    Yep, Dana 70 from a CJ10A airplane tug. At 80" WMS/WMS you won't have to worry about going to disc brakes and they are stock 4.88.
    I picked up one of these axles a couple of months ago. The WMS to WMS on it is about 75.5" or so. I wonder if there were different versions? This one is the Dana 70u, 4.88 gears, and powerlock. The spring perches were already moved so I can't say how close it is to stock. I'm planning on using H1 beadlocks with this axle and a DRW Chevy Dana 60 front, as soon as I can find one for $300
    Last edited by jlogan; January 20th, 2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: speling

Default Traded axles out of an old project for Dana 70's from a W300 field operating room

I did, I probably sholdnt have but I did. Got a call from a kid needing and Dana 60 with a Detroit and Dana 44 front with limited slip and 3.73s. Said he heard that I had a set. I said yep who ya been talking too? lol We have a mutual friend ( yes I do have some friends lol ) who told him of my old M715 frame I had under a J 4000. He wanted these for his J 2000 cab with a 6.2 diesel and M37 bed he up on a Grand Wagoneer frame.

He traded me from and Rear Dana 70's out of a W 300 field hopital operanint room. 1/12" 35 spline, input torque rated at 8000 lbs!! Even I would have a hard time breaking these axles ( famous last words ).

To make it move Im goint to 350/465/NP205 with a Hydraboots I bought out of a 87 Cheby one tom. 5 gal can in the cab so I can get it to move to work one the beast. Pushed the 5900 lbs into a space and that is all I ever want to push it again. Eventually Ill drop in the 2nd gen 6BT Cummins married up to a FSO 6406a or 8406a and divorce a SCS gear transfer case.

In the mean time I was wondering if I want move the spring perches and fog on or 4 line both axels?

Ideas and suggestions welcome!! Ill try to add pics but have to unfubar the back of the computer where the 14 month old got ahold of the wires!! OR email me and I can send them directly to you. ( depending on how the unfubar project goes )

Dave

I pulled the 14 bolt axle from the 1 ton GM van today it has the same perch width as the M715 but after I cut it out I noticed it does not have the full floating axles.......what rear is this? It is a 14 bolt and the van is a 1 ton single rear wheel has matching 4.10 ratio to go with the Ford front 60 I have, thought I was doing good but not floater can it be converted to floater?