Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on my powertrain conversion ideas

Default Thoughts on my powertrain conversion ideas

So i just wrote up a nice long post and I think i accidentally erased it... So here it goes again...

I had an M715 i sold back in 2010 and i regretted it every day. I just bought another one and i am looking at my options...

My last M715 conversion was dana 60 front, dana 60 rear, Dodge 360 engine with TF727 w/OD mated to an NP 205 transfer case. It was all out of the same 1990 Dodge 1 ton pickup. I could do this conversion again but i really want torque converter lockup and the axles were a bit narrow. I was able to maintain factory spring locations but it required ridiculous offset on the wheels to prevent wheel rubbing the springs (37 inch tires) I liked that all the parts came from one vehicle, and it was pretty easy to do, but i want to go newer this time, with Chevy parts.

My thoughts:

I can get mid 90s 3500 SRW trucks for pretty cheap, and if i am not mistaken, i think i can use 100% of the drivetrain.

Axles: chevy Dana 60 front, 14 bolt rear. I see a lot of people use this setup from a CUCV. Would the axles from a 3500 GM SRW be the same? (minus the locker) I dont mind having to buy offset wheels again, and i do not want to move the springs. I will probably do a spring over and remove some leafs.

Engine: not too picky here. I would prefer a 5.7 or 6.0 maybe a 454- whatever the donor vehicle comes with. fuel injection is a must.

Transmission: I loved the 700R4 that i originally used in my old M715, but they are getting a bit dated (1993 is the last production run?) The 727 that i switched to was also nice a simple, but it got hot without torque converter lockup. The mid to late 90s 3500 trucks come with 4L80E transmissions, which have overdrive, torque converter lockup, and are very strong and proven. I like the idea of being able to program shift points.

Transfer case: I am not sure what the mid to late 90s 3500 trucks come with, but anything has got to be better than the NP200. I made multiple cross country trips with the NP200 and it overheated and blew oil everywhere. The NP205 i eventually converted to was great, and seems to the transfer case of choice. I am hoping i can find a 4L80E already mated to an NP205.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Bad idea? good idea? potential issues? I love the idea of getting all the conversion parts from one source, one vehicle, one purchase.

I like the whoe idea...wonder myself if the srw from the 3500 fits there...that is a real good question.

I think the 5.7 is ok but the 6.0 is nice in there...the 454, to me, is overkill and a big gas bill when oil prices rise...

Looks like 91 was last year for the NP205 in those...heres a page that lists the choices...
    http://www.manualtransmissionpart.co...ake-Model.html
    Scroll down to Chevy. I know the NP241 has good power handling...those last 2 in the secttion might be the best to try to find...the NP261XHD and NP263XHD...sound pretty burly to me...

Keep us informed...this sounds like a real nice build to be.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Somewhere in the early 90s they swapped to IFS...and I think that is driver drop front axle...I got a dana 70 van rear at a localscrap yard for $100 and a 6.0/ NV4500 for $800....If you want to see how my stuff is fitting or works, let me know....Older solid KP Chevy front passenger drop
    Is that real money?

I am assuming if i got the Dana 60 axles to fit from the 1990 dodge i can get them to fit from a chevy. It was a long time ago but i dont remember having too many issues getting them to fit. Its too bad i didnt measure WMS to WMS on them... Maybe i can find some old pictures somewhere of the conversion.

I actually did see that 91 was the last year for the NP205 and had started researching what actually comes with the K3500 truck for a t-case. I assume if it can handle a 1 ton truck it can handle an M715... as long as the drop is on the correct side. Looks like there were a couple options available.

Ray, I am curious what you used for a front axle, and what transfer case you are running behind the NV4500. I wouldnt be opposed to having a manual transmission, I just feel like the automatics might be easier to find in a complete donor vehicle.

If you want to go gasoline, then I would suggest an LS. The aftermarket support for them is amazing. Any size LS is just a camshaft and a tune away from massive torque or screamer power. Sometimes both in the same engine.

I put a 4L80E in my Cowdog CUCV Suburban project. I love it. TH400 strength with OD and a lock up converter. They are not cheap though. Neither are the TCM that must go with a 4L80E.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

While not as strong... they are in every GM half ton 4x4 unitl 2009? ish...

GM 5.3L Vortec with the 4L60e 4x4 transmission. The transmission is ran off the engine computer and doesn't require stand alone hardware. Only concern here is the strength

Buying a 4L80e though from the junkyard just get the OEM transmission computer and you'll be good to go after ECM reprogramming to get rid of security issues.
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

91 was the last year of the Dana 60 in the 3500s, after that is IFS. Also the front driveshaft went from the passenger side to the drivers side when the went IFS.

Get a mid-90s truck, use the engine/trans/transfer case/rear end, and get a front Dana 60 from a 86-97 Ford F-350. Will be drivers side front driveshaft to match the chevy transfer case, will bolt right to the springs, and is set up for spring over.

I towed my M715 home with a 2010 silverado with a 5.3 and i have to say i was pleasantly surprised by the available power. Probably better than an old 5.7. Not a bad option as i do not plan on beating it off road, although i do plan on doing some medium duty towing with it. I will have to look into that option. I didnt realize the 4L60E can be run off the engine computer. I will have to see what is involved wiring wise do do that swap.

Farmer It looks like you blew a hole in my plan. I guess i assumed that the 3500s ran solid front axle. My concern with running mis matched axles (ford/chevy ect...) is that i might have to compensate for different widths with spacers or wheel offsets. Spacer will probably only work so well and Offset wheels would be a deal-breaker i think due to not being able to rotate. Does anyone have an issue with different axle widths running mis matched axles? what do you do to fix it or does it just not really look that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by the1968jeepthing View Post
    I towed my M715 home with a 2010 silverado with a 5.3 and i have to say i was pleasantly surprised by the available power. Probably better than an old 5.7. Not a bad option as i do not plan on beating it off road, although i do plan on doing some medium duty towing with it. I will have to look into that option. I didnt realize the 4L60E can be run off the engine computer. I will have to see what is involved wiring wise do do that swap.
    I did an LS/4L60e conversion into my 1966 Chevy C-10...

1. Buy junkyard 5.3L/4L60e combo with the ECM/Pedal/Pedal computer

2. Buy PSI Conversion wiring harness

3. Plug in harness, find 12V source and ign hot...

4. Take care of fuel pump

5. Enjoy
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

I agree with the ease of the LS swap.
    A 5.3 4l60 combo is a great candidate for a repower.
    The tcase for this has a drivers drop.
    So ...
    Get a set of solid axles from a f350 between 85 and 97.
    Front high pinion d60 drops in like it was made for the 715.
    Sterling is tight, brake backing plate is a pain, suggest discs.
    Done.
    1967 M715 7.3 diesel 5spd ...